1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Introducing key words

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by mashabell, Nov 7, 2011.

1. I have sorted the 100 key words into 59 decodable ones which can be learnt in normal phonics lessons and the remaining 41 with various tricky or surplus letters (some of which are trickier than others). Perhaps they can be of use to u?
    59 phonically regular:
    <font size="3">a, and, as, at, had, has, that, an, back, can,</font>our, out, about,

<font size="3">the, he, be, we, me, she, </font><font size="3">of, to, was, want, all, call, one, said, </font>
    <font size="3">some, there, two, when, what, where, which, who, your,</font>
    <font size="3"> </font><font size="3"></font> <font size="3"></font>

2. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

I find that with the decodable books we use, the children keep pace quite well with the tricky words in their reading and there's not really any particular need to send words home on flashcards.

3. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

My school sends home those small key words because the children then recognize them as a key word and start reading them without blending every time.

4. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

Interesting. I think that if the children are reading enough that they don't need flashcards to learn to read the high frequency words. Because, after all, these words show up very frequently!! In my limited experience as a parent and helper, the good phonic reading schemes introduce the "tricky" words at an appropriate pace and with an appropriate amount of repetition for them not to have to be done on flashcards as well.
    I did the RWI decodable stories at home with my children, and Floppy Phonics and Songbirds, and this was enough to not need flashcards as well. The RWI books do include a little speed game at the back of each book to increase the child's speed at reading without sounding out each time; I didn't find this necessary but I am sure it would be useful.
    As a parent I would hate to be sent flashcards home, and I think there are better things to be done in school too.
    If I was to be sent flashcards home I would like it to be some words which then enabled the child to straightaway read a story they could not otherwise have read. But this doesn't really fit with my own personal view on the fastest way to learn to read.
    Spelling lists are another matter ........... our school sends home spelling lists ........... I'm not that keen so I hope they are not sending them because parents want them!! However, there has been insufficient emphasis in the spelling lists on the tricky words and an overemphasis on randomly picked GPCs.
    e.g. one week a list of words to learn with oo and u-e. Child has to remember for those specific words whether it is oo or u-e ... this takes a little bit of time with a 5 year old. But no mention of ew or any other ways of making that same sound. Child learns for the test which words use oo and which use u-e .......... but how do they apply this to a word that was not in the spelling list that week? And what happens when they forget whether it was oo or u-e for those words on the list? I think better use could have been made of the child's time at home.
    I do think if you are going to send home stuff for parents to do with their children there is better stuff than flashcards. Having said this, there's a private school near here which uses that method to teach reading from scratch. They have a "look, say" type reading scheme, and every day a book is sent home with flashcards of all the words in the book. By year 1 the children are reading really well. It's probably a function of the amount of time spent reading as anything else.
    Without a book to relate the flashcards to I would not be able to do a flashcard homework with my children - they'd have gone off to play within moments I'm afraid.

5. I think u are right about time spent reading being the most crucial factor, but there is no harm at all in paying a bit more attention to the tricky words alongside phonics on a regular basis - first those from the 100 most used English words, then from the next 200 (p. 195 L&S).
    Because those words keep popping up in everything children read, over and over again. So learning those as early as possible is a huge help.
    They don't have to go home on flashcards. Just a sheet of A 4 with 10 or 20 of them (which parents can cut up if they want to) is good enough.
    My daughter-in-law did not want to keep bothering my granddaughter's teacher, so she asked me for the first 100 when gd became keen to do some writing at home. She really appreciated being emailed the following:
    Below are the 100 most frequently used words divided into 49 with regular spellingsand 51 tricky ones. I am sure u'll see what makes them tricky, but I could highlight the tricky letters in them.The 51 with some tricky letters are:<font face="Calibri">want, was, </font><font face="Calibri">are, have, all, call, </font><font face="Calibri">said, </font><font face="Calibri">the, he, she, we, me, be, been, see, here, </font><font face="Calibri">they, their, there, were, new, </font><font face="Calibri">well, will, little her, first, right,</font><font face="Calibri">of, off, to, into, do, one, two, come, some, down, look, now, only, other,</font><font face="Calibri">before, more,</font><font face="Calibri">you, your, could, </font>[/b]
    49 regular ones:

our, out, about, over, old,
    but, much, must, up, just.

6. Msz

Msz Established commenter

[​IMG]

7. Masha I am puzzled about your list of 51 words? For example, what is so tricky about "been" and "see"? What is so tricky about "what" and "was"? Teach that the letters "ee" make the /ee/ sound and that following a /w/ the letter "a" will usually say /o/. I could go on and on but you won't listen anyhow!

8. U have looked at the tricky-to-spell list, rather than the shorter one with 41 tricky-to-read words
    which I had pasted in first:
    the, he, be, we, me, she, of, to, was, want, all, call, one, said,
    you, by, my, only, come, could, do, down, into, look, now, other, right,
    some, there, two, when, what, where, which, who, your,
    are, have, before, more, were.
    The pronunciation of wa varies: want, was - wag, swam.
    So does that of wh: what - who.
    Some of the above words are trickier than others, but they all contain some letters which cannot be decoded as easily as 'keep sleep deep'.
    <Ee> has a totally reliable pronunciation, but spellings of the /ee/ sound are all unpredictable:
    eat, eel, tea, tree, she, key, seize, thief.
    All spellings for it have to be linked to particular words.
    They are usually taught in little group of words, but they are all unpredictable.
    And as at least 452 common English words (listed on my website) have an /ee/ sound, they take some learning.

9. Msz

Msz Established commenter