1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Introducing German

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by Quercynoise, Dec 9, 2010.

1. My school currently offers French and Spanish. The head is very keen to reintroduce German and we are planning a 5 hour taster session for years 8 and 9 in the new year. Does anyone know of anything I could use to 'sell' Germany and the German language in an exciting and positive way. A short film clip would be ideal. I have already found some great material to cover the linguistic basics as well as a quiz from TES resources. What I need is to send out a really positive message about Germany and overcome some of the usual tedious stereotypes which are already emerging (and thats only from other teachers in school!). Any help greatly appreciated. Many thanks

2. Dodros

Dodros Senior commenter

3. trey-desolay

trey-desolay New commenter

4. Dodros

Dodros Senior commenter

http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/german/comedy/
    Henning Wehn is a German standup comedian based in the UK. He has appeared on recent BBC Radio 4 comedy programmes. At the web address above you'll find a page entitled "What's so funny about German?" in which Henning "takes a humorous look at the German language in ten short videos". I have no idea how good the videos are - my own home PC operating system is too antiquated to play them - but they will be worth a look.[​IMG]

5. Bring things from Germany to class which your pupils like: Haribo, Milka chocolate.... Ask them if they know any German things they encounter in their daily life. They won't know, but you can talk about Aldi, Lidl, Netto, Audi, BMW.... When I was a teaching assistant, the Y7s and Y8s (both beginners) were really happy when they noticed they knew some German things/companies and even liked them.

6. Thank you all so much for some really great replies. I really appreciate it. Any more from anyone?[​IMG]

7. Hi
    don't want to be too boring but we do more business as a country with Germany than any other country, (second France, third Spain) so their language could well be of more help with their careers than any other. My wife has worked all her adult life, in the UK mostly but sometimes based in Germany. Without even intending to, she ended up working for German companies much of the time. Either because they got taken over by German companies, or becuase they owned German companies. BDH (British Drug Houses) taken over, BOC (British Oxygen company) taken over by Lindt, Toyota owns its own bank which loans you the money to buy a car from them. "Toyota Kreditbank" based in Germany but financing car purchases all over the place.
    Get qualified then look forward to working and/or studying either over there or over here for BMW, Mercedes, Bundesbank etc, etc.