1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Introducing GCSE PE for the First Time

Discussion in 'Physical education' started by suzysue21, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Hello,
    I am a PE Teacher in an all girls school and they do not currently run any GCSE courses in PE- they only do core PE from Year 7-11. I am a teacher of 5 years and have taught both GCSE and BTEC Sport in previous schools and I am very keen to introduce GCSE PE in to the school in September 2013. I know it is a huge challenge especially as I am a one person department but I am determined to give it a go!
    I need to ask some basic questions to ensure that I am on the right track so any help from HOD and/or teachers who teach GCSE PE would be very much appreciated!
    1. AQA or OCR?
    2. How many pupils do I need to have on the course- the school only has 250 girls on role so I am probably looking at 10-12 girls
    3. What facilities do I need? I have a large outside space with 2 netball courts and a hall slightly bigger than a badminton court- will this affect their practical mark?? I wouldnt think so but just wanted to double check
    4. Am I right in saying that it would be an additional 3 lessons a week (5 in total with their core PE lessons)
    5. Any other advice/help/support would be very much appreciated!

Thank you for your help

Kindest Regards

Sue x

2. Hello,
    I am a PE Teacher in an all girls school and they do not currently run any GCSE courses in PE- they only do core PE from Year 7-11. I am a teacher of 5 years and have taught both GCSE and BTEC Sport in previous schools and I am very keen to introduce GCSE PE in to the school in September 2013. I know it is a huge challenge especially as I am a one person department but I am determined to give it a go!
    I need to ask some basic questions to ensure that I am on the right track so any help from HOD and/or teachers who teach GCSE PE would be very much appreciated!
    1. AQA or OCR?
    2. How many pupils do I need to have on the course- the school only has 250 girls on role so I am probably looking at 10-12 girls
    3. What facilities do I need? I have a large outside space with 2 netball courts and a hall slightly bigger than a badminton court- will this affect their practical mark?? I wouldnt think so but just wanted to double check
    4. Am I right in saying that it would be an additional 3 lessons a week (5 in total with their core PE lessons)
    5. Any other advice/help/support would be very much appreciated!

Thank you for your help

Kindest Regards

Sue x