1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Introducing bottles to breastfed baby

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by snj13, Feb 29, 2012.

1. I went through this with my DS so you're not alone! Wanted him to take a bottle so i could go out. He screamed and thrashed around like mad! It was awful. The way we got him to take a bottle was i breastfed him til he was in that dozy drunken like state then swapped my nipple for the bottle and he just carried on! Did this for one feed every day for a few days until i could then start the feed with a bottle instead of me. Hope that makes sense. Good luck, you'll get there eventually :)

2. We did something similar to snj13 - gave him a bottle after a breastfeed. I got my husband to do it and I would sit there giving encouragement to him and he took it. I think once they are quite full they are more tolerant. We use the Dr Brown bottles with No.2 teats. Good luck x

3. Thank you everyone for your suggestions, will give them a go and keep trying!!

4. dont' mean to put a dampner on this but I never managed to get my LO to take a bottle. It tried all of the above and he would not take it at all. Good luck

5. Same thing happened with us. What worked was the NUK bottle - and BAGS of patience. Eventually, she fed when VERY hungry and, sitting (not lying as if to breastfeed) facing AWAY from me. The key is to NOT give up. And I know it sounds silly, but don't get flustered by it all!!

6. Just a few suggestions, hope they help! No, it's not too early to introduce a cup, most dentists would say that missing out bottles is great. Finding one that works is harder. Boots used to so one which had just one small hole in the top and no valve, so it would slowly drip out, this meant baby didn't have to work too hard. Breast fed babies don't work hard for their milk, they suck a few times and then it all just gushes out for them - not so with bottles where they constantly have to work, they don't like it! Try keeping a muslin near you whilst feeding and then whoever offers the bottle or cup drapes the same muslin (or blanket) near to where baby sits, so they still get the reassuring scents of mum and don't get stressed over the difference. Like someone else posted, most bf babies don't like to be held in a nursing position for bottle feeds because it feels strange. Try getting who ever is giving the bottle to sit the baby so that they are facing them on their knees and make lots of comforting eye contact whilst they give the bottle. This is more reassuring for baby. Finally, try to avoid giving the bottle yourself, it sends mixed signals about what to expect from who and baby can get fussier at feeds, take less, get hungrier and the spiral continues! Good luck, all babies are different, it's just a case of finding out what works for you.

7. i used breastflow bottles (google them) and my LO moved across without a problem x

8. I was also in the same position a couple of weeks ago. We tried different sitting positions and bottles. We found the only bottles that have worked are played drop in system with a slow tear. Our son now takes the bottle once or twice a day to get him ready for the idea of not breast feeding during the day when I return to work. Hope this helps.

9. Thank you for all the suggestions. LO has just taken 5oz form a tommee tippee closer to nature bottle. I had him facing away from me and walked around the living room, once he started sucking I could then sit down with him. Going to try giving one bottle a day to keep him used to it.