1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

introducing adding in reception, in whole class activities

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by natalia2008, Oct 29, 2010.

1. hi,
    i am looking for some ideas for introducing adding in reception through whole class activities.(20 minutes)
    do you usually start to use the symbols?
    how do you do it? i am on final placement introducing adding.
    any help would be great
    thankyou

2. i'd do this with rhymes and if you can interactive whiteboard games/ rhymes. It needs to be quite simple with the option of extending for more able. If you search the resources on TES you will find a lot you can use... I love this one & have used it A LOT to the delight of my classes
    Maths, 1 more, addition by paula.hughes (sorry couldnt spend the time working out how to add a hyperlink but you can search & find quite easily. There is also a rhyme '5 little bees' which I think was added by superkings (sorry if this isnt correct). I have also used the rhyme 1 elephant went out to play - make/ draw a web & some elephants & the chn can then take their elephant to the web so visually you are seeing the number increasing.
    You could show the symbols but in my opinion that is not the thing you should be focusing on...understanding that when you 'add' you make the number bigger is more important so as many opportunities as poss to see this would be good. Building towers is a really good visual model...add one more brick...what is happening???
    I am very sure there will be many more - more helpful - responses to your question. Good luck with your final placement

3. pinknoodles

pinknoodles Administrator

It is quite early at this stage of Reception to be teaching any symbols/number sentences (we normally do this with gifted and talented children only during the final term).

I think that 20 minutes of sitting on the carpet is quite a long time at this stage of the year. We normally do about 10 mins whole class teaching, followed by a focus activity.

You could do a warm up by singing some addition number songs, then a whole class session. You could do something really simple like counting teddies then add one more, two more etc. Use lots of language and encourage the children to use mathematical language.

Your focus activity could be an extension of your carpet session adding teddy bears who are having a party etc.

It is usually to start with adding one more then when your class are confident you can move onto larger amounts.

Hope this helps, good luck.

4. thankyou for all your help! xx

5. I have found that doing a practical activity, but introducing the symbols with arm actions - + and = (making arms into a cross and putting arms side by side for equals) ensures that the ma are considered. So I would just model the number sentence on the whiteboard alongside the practical activity and the children then 'sign' it out.

6. Hi
    It is worth looking up the newish Numbers and Patterns document they have some great ideas and give you some progression in phases and tell you what to look for in terms of difficulties.
    Activities that my class enjoy are knocking down numbered skittles and adding up score or darts.
    Have each pair with 12 things on a plate infront of them.Roll 2 dice add amounts together then steal that amount from someone's plate onto theirs. Winner has most add the end.
    Putting objects/marbles or biscuits in a tin children write number on their board, add some more how many now. Addition bingo is another favourite.
    We do a lot of work with numberlines first before we go to the abstract, so they really get the idea of adding being when the answer is bigger and going up the numberline. Lots of work on more as well and adding 1 more before doing the bigger numbers.
    Good luck

7. Pink Noodles states it is quite early at this stage of Reception to be teaching any symbols/number sentences (we normally do this with gifted and talented children only during the final term).

OH MY GOD since when was adding a few small numbers in reception the preserve of the gifted and talented. All the years I have been posting on here about the continuing dire standards in so many reception classes never has anyone been so brazen about it. For a teacher of 5 year olds to suggest that 2+2 is only for a small number of those children is pure insanity.

8. mmm brain jim .........you don't give children too long before you find them lacking ... or their teachers...
    Have you I wonder ever really spent time with children up to five. ANd then spent time in an early years class and explored the issues regarding really teaching them as opposed to instructing them in the ways of being schooled. I posted the following somehwere else just now about planning for maths.

Get perspective on this. The children are too young. They might happen by misfortune to be put into school. It doesn't mean they have te be schooled in the same methods as for older children, The inadvisabily of early literacy instruction as opposed to oracy development is exactly the same here as Maths is a language sysem which ends up going very quickly to the symbol. Kids only have a passing inerest in those symbols at five. They have a passion for many other things. Did you ever visit a decent playgroup my friend because there is a need to know that reception is only one part of where children could be, have been and ought to be able to be. 'Dire ' standards in reception maybe, but in smaller more intimate, conversation, rich relatiosnhip contexts children flourish on many levels. IN truth (and shocking this might be to you) maths is not that important, the problem is that we feel convinced that it is and that we therefore spend a lot oif time in trying to introduce children to abstract synbols very young, whereas if they just waited until they got to seven, and then were taught it, they would understand it in perhaps a more meaningful and relevant way. Or at least the way of teaching of it would makes sense. That would leave the early years to develop wha is of real and fundamental importance which is play, first hand experience and the richest talk.

Do you really need to go into maths in such depth? Remember they are very young children Maths to this age group is simply about the realtionships between things, and the language used to describe those relationships, things in their world. Stories but real life also. The simple daily organisation of the classroom and the group, , time, shape and space, number, comparisons. It needs to all be simple. DOn't get yourself too complicated. IN many places in the world children don't receive or need any maths instruction before they are six, but they live in a world in which they participate, are talked to and explained things and involved in real purposeful tasks. They don't do any worse and in often cases do better than over instructed kids. You meed perhaps to try to recreate that type of familiar, intimate, practical involvement with the daily order of your and their day which contains so much mathematical foundations with of course the limits of the artificial nature of a classroom but don't fall into the trap of thinking it is really necessary to read books and devise elaborate planning sequences. You will end up cutting across children's interests, risk boring them and switch them off in the long run by expecting outcomes that look mathematical far too soon. Eg number worksheets or workbooks.

Trust your early years teachers instincts, look at the daily routines and life of the group, simplify and make explicit to yourself the tasks which children can pratcically be involved in daily and seasonally, giving them as much opportunity, independence and responsibility to play with the maths language and your teaching will be as good as any published scheme and in fact probably better as you won't have your brain fogged by other peoples planning prejudices.

9. Claptrap not that old chestnut 'you'll turn them off for life'. When was the last time you heard an adult say 'I refuse to answer that mathematical problem because my reception teacher forced me to do a few sums'. or ' I refuse to fill in that application form as my creative juices dried up due to the formality of my early years experience'. Th ereal problem is your low expectation of the children.

10. I take it that reading posts on here is all the experience you have of educating children aged 'just 4' or 'just 5' BrainJim. You seem to be lacking 'hands on' experience and you add nothing to this forum with your responses. Perhaps an explanation of how you would 'teach' addition to this age group would be more helpful than criticising those who are trying to support each other.

11. ho ho ho brainjim..... I don't remember anyone ever asking me 'to solve a mathematical problem'. HOwever if you chose to interpret the issues of early years education as claptrap and to synthesise, from what was an attempt to show you otherwise only a message you don't agree with, then good for you. At least we can cross swords on here so that maybe you'll see there are real things worth fighting for in the world of young children. It ain't claptrap unless that is you haven't got a clue what you are talking about. That seems pretty much the case here. You haven't given it a moments thought and I doubt you have ever really answered the question of whether you have practically tried to teach young children. I wonder if you have also been a father, a hands on involved father who got stuck in and talked to the people who were involved in the world of young children, your own or others. You would certainly not be so disparaging had you done so. The arguement seems to be beyond your grasp.

12. Msz

Msz Established commenter

SOAPy you seem to be confusing adding and subtraction with mathematical notation of course children will be adding and subtracting in the autumn term but some will still be learning what numerals and mathematical symbols mean.
    I'm worried about the dire standards [​IMG] You seem to forget that these are 4 year old children who have only been in school a few weeks (some of them may still be part time)

13. Last year with my class I delayed any individual recording of maths activities, in favour of more hands on practical activities. Later, when I did introduce more recording, they took to it like ducks to water, no doubt as a result of their greater understanding of the concepts involved. I will certainly do the same this year.

14. Well said Hbill. There's nothing to be gained from learning the notation before the understanding is there. It's just a trick to support a pretence about children's progress. Sadly, it is confusing for children who still need to physically place objects together to solve practical problems. Progress is about understanding and using the concepts, and using the signs just a useful way of recording that understanding.

15. Hi Natalia
    I wouldn't use the symbols at this stage, as children are likely to be very new to any sort of calculating. I would physically show them how adding is about putting sets together and finding out how many, using the language - 'add', 'more' and 'altogether'. I would use a song, story or scenario to engage the children and some appropriate resources. "1 elephant went out to play ..." is about adding 1 at a time, and you could always adjust it to add more than 1.

16. Just noticed someone else suggested that! Should have read all the posts! Anyhow, with 2 people suggesting it maybe it's the way to go!