1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Intimidating Head

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by sparklin_ash, Jan 9, 2011.

1. I was employed by my head who was also new that year. She was very professional that year and gave me mostly positive feedback.
    Being an inexperienced head, later towards the year she started panacking about school data and other assessments carried out within the school.
    Unable to cope since then , she's started to behave very unprofessionally and rude towards her staff members, specially the vulnerable ones. Many staff have resigned since then.
    She has become very initimating, negative, rude and unprofessional in her behaviour and is always criticising , nitpicking and cynical about everything I do. Its either her way or no way at the moment.
    My year group gets no support or advice, just get given plenty of paperwork to make their data look good. The work load is unneccessary and completly unmanagable.
    This has really started to affect my personal life. I spend most time worrying about it, have problems sleeping and have started getting scared of her. This is experienced by my colleuges too, as we all feel we are very vulnerable. Please advice.
    Thank you

2. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

Leave as soon as possible.

3. I'm planning a baby hence need to stick around till I get my maternity, which I can see can also be a huge issue for her. She's on a mission to make life miserable for everyone who has an opinion.
    Most of the governors and the senior managment team follow her like god and are friends with her from outside school.
    Is there somewhere we can report about her unprofessional behaviour?

4. If you haven't already done so, I would recommend taking advice from the regional office of your union. It is possible to take out a grievance against your HT, and to do this as a group (which might give you a bit more protection - safety in numbers and all that), but it is never pleasant, and you would def. need the support of your union. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

5. Gardening Leaves

Gardening Leaves New commenter

I second Torey's advice: it really is the best option.
    Your Head, as so many before her, has become a bully in an effort to commensate for her own inability to cope. A simple answer to the question of whether or not anyone is working for a bully is whether you feel you have to 'walk on eggshells' around her. You do.
    Heads like this are dangerous because they are loose cannons. You may one day find that everything that has gone wrong is inexplicably your fault. That's what these wretched people do and the LA will support the Head even if, privately, they know she's a menace.
    This woman is making you ill. You are describing symptoms of workplace stress and she is failing in her responsibility for your health and well-being if you are being made to feel like this. Please make an appointment to see your doctor and have the symptoms you describe logged as a benchmark. Make contact with your union, too.
    Really, the best thing to do is to look for a new job.

6. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

HR admitted to me off the record that my Head was a bully. Them knowing it didn't change anything and I took them to court. Despite the evidence they still supported him, but I know that he was pulled up in private via my solicitor. Even though others feel the same I doubt that they will all back you up and put together a grievance as a group. Therefore leaving is really the best option. I wish I had taken that option rather than fighting, although I have a wonderful job now.
    Remember you can contact teacher support line to off load.