1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Intimidated by a group of pupils

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by Purplepasta326, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Purplepasta326

Purplepasta326 New commenter

I currently work as a HLTA in a secondary school, prior to this I was a teacher in a very challenging school and have always considered myself to have strong behaviour management and have never been in this position before.

I work with a very challanging Y9 class 3 hours a fortnight (not much I know) but when I am in there I am having to put up with a tarid of abuse from a group of pupils- I have had to put up with everything from them spending the lesson shouting that they dont like me (hmmm), making pig noises at me, to actually threatening to batter me. On the occassion I was threatened the kid was excluded, but then the others found out why and that has rilled them even more.

The teacher I am with struggles with the class, and lets them get away with murder. I have tried all tactics from trying to completely ignore them, take groups out and of course done the discipline route- but since I am not the teacher and not in control of the class I can never get on top of the situation.

I am starting to feel very intimiadeted going into the class and feel that I shouldnt have to put up with this. I have tried talking to the teacher, but she seems at a loss and never actually does anything about it. I have considered going to HOD and asking to be removed from the class, but do not know how to do this without undermining the teacher- who I am actually quite good friends with.

Any suggestions? I have no problems in any other classes, some of whom have far more 'challanging' kids.

xxx

2. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

Can you talk this through with the teacher and then go together for support? United we stand, divided we fall?

1 person likes this.
  3. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Seems the best bet, get SMT on the case to sort out this mess. It is unacceptable that you should have to suffer poor behaviour and if the teacher can't step up then you need to find someone who can and will.

4. Purplepasta326

Purplepasta326 New commenter

That's great! Thank you for the advice, it sounds much better going together as the last thing I would want is for her to think I was going behind her back.

5. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

As a supply teacher I have been to quite a few different schools and have had what I thought were challenging classes, but nothing compared to what you describe. I agree that you should speak to the teacher of the class first,

I thought not much would shock me after working so long in schools and from reading these posts, but to have classes like the one you describe is simply unacceptable and your SLT need to step in and draw the boundaries for these students. If the school won't help you, then find somewhere else to work.