1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interviews whilst signed off sick.

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Torey, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

I did, but I think it depends on what you are signed off with. They may be suspicious if you are saying you are too ill to teach but perfectly well enough to turn up for an interview.

2. If signed off work and attend an intertview, then yes you would be in breach of contract.

3. I got my last job when off sick. Neither school objected.

4. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

I got my current job whilst signed off from my last one. Since I was signed off with depression caused by stress and harrassment at work, I asked advice from my union rep. He advised me that since it was illness caused by my workplace and not by my job, there would be no issue.

5. bacardibreezer

bacardibreezer New commenter

Thank you for the replies. I am worried about breaching contract but can't find anywhere that gives the information outright.
    I am on a fixed term contract which officially finishes at Easter so need to find a new post pretty sharpish.
    A couple of weeks ago I had to go to A & E for a blood transfusion following what I thought were routine blood tests to find out why I've been so tired, breathless and generally low (as well as craving dirt and coal - long story!). It turned out that my blood count was less than half of what it should have been. I am on the mend and due to return to work on Monday 19th March.
    I have already turned down interviews because I haven't felt up to the challenge, but wih this one being towards the end of my sickness leave, I thought I might be in with a chance - especially if I'm upfront with both schools.
    It's heartening to hear that some of you were offered jobs having attended interviews whilst off sick but I am worried about the risk of doing wrong. I'll speak to both schools on Monday and see how the land lies.
    Thanks again for your replies :)

6. Argh. Yet another example of the apalling self centered attitude so very apparent in these forums. If you are well enough to attend a stressful, demanding teaching interview then you are well enough to GO TO WORK.

7. Sadly as someone that interviews potential teachers quie regularly, I can say that if we had whiff of the teacher currently being off sick but able to attend our interview and teach a lesson for us, it would cause alarm bells to ring somewhat....
    After all if the teacher is off-sick but able to complete the interview process we would wonder how often they would do this to us and be off-sick but fit to teach...
    [​IMG]

8. Well they bloody well should have.

9. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

I was taking mine to court for harrassment and even HR deemed it to be an unsafe place by keeping me on full pay beyond the 6 months. My new school were fine as they were appalled by what happened to me. I haven't had a day off since.

10. lighthouse_keeper

lighthouse_keeper New commenter

I think if you aren't well enough to be in school teaching, then attending an interview where you would have to teach a lesson would probably raise eyebrows about your sick leave. I think that you should aim to get better and back to work before taking up interviews. I know it's frustrating but any new school would probably find it odd that you couldn't teach in your current post but could teach for them. Plus is going to interview the best idea when you aren't well?

11. bacardibreezer

bacardibreezer New commenter

Thank you again for replies. I have informed the school that I will not be at the interview - the initial excitement I felt at being offered an interview whilst at such a low point made me think/ hope that I could go through with it, but now I realise it's daft and would look bad.
    For the person who accused me of being self-centered - part of the reason I am in my current state is because of how hard I work and how I have always put the students I teach before myself and my own family. And the fact that I am going back to work weeks before my GP is advising is because I am worried about my GCSE and A-level students - surely this shows that I am not completely self-centred. If I was, I would have gone to the interview without giving it a second thought and certainly wouldn't have asked for advice on here.
    Thanks again for the helpful answers and advice.

rayondesoleil1976 likes this.
  12. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

Hope you feel better soon - take care, especially when you go back to work.

13. lighthouse_keeper

lighthouse_keeper New commenter

I think you made the right decision. Don't worry about the people on these forums who make unhelpful comments- no two cases are ever the same and you have to do what's right for you. Don't defend yourself - there's no need. Concentrate on getting yourself better. And don't rush back to work before you are ready - when you do get back, you want it to be a proper return, not a period before you go off sick again. Take care of yourself.

14. I would ignore the self centred comment(s) but I think you have done the correct thing.

Hope you are on the mend BB, get well soon.

jellybaby2009 likes this.
  15. jellybaby2009

jellybaby2009 New commenter

Agree with ignoring the 'self centred' comments, there are many reasons a person may not be able to work. I don't think any of us are suggesting we chuck a sickie just to attend an interview. I myself have just had a minor operation and need 6 weeks to recover, but am actively seeking alternative employment.
    Hope you are on the mend, but take things steady and don't rush back to work too soon especially if your not right.
    take care.

16. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Lead commenter Forum guide

Let's hope OP is feeling a bit better by now as their last post on this thread was over 5 years ago.

rayondesoleil1976 likes this.
  17. rayondesoleil1976

rayondesoleil1976 Occasional commenter

Get well soon. Have been there, done that with the iron deficiency anaemia. It's horrible. I hope you get sorted out soon with a new job. You're not self-centred, just in a predicament and looking for advice.

18. rayondesoleil1976

rayondesoleil1976 Occasional commenter

Just saw this! Lol!