1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interviews when you’re signed off?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by EY_Teacher, Feb 23, 2020.

1. EY_Teacher

EY_Teacher New commenter

I have a friend who is being bullied by her head teacher. She is a highly paid teacher and we (and her union rep) think it’s pay related. She is definitely going to leave by the end of the year. I have advised her to get signed off for a couple of weeks as she is very stressed and it’s effecting her health. I went through something similar (not at her school), as did another friend, so I know what she’s going through. I left it too late to get signed off and ended up losing a lot of hair due to stress related dermatitis (it’s all grown back now and I’m at a good school with an understanding head). My question is: if she does take my advice and get signed off for a few weeks, can she go for interviews if any come up whilst she’s off? TIA.

2. TeacherMan19

TeacherMan19 Occasional commenter

Morally - no.
    But it wouldn't stop me if she's going to tell her next school the situation so will understand any reference.

EY_Teacher likes this.
  3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I don't quite understand how you can advise someone to get signed off. You are, presumably, not a medical doctor and so cannot decide whether or not someone is ill, nor what any treatment should be. There are many treatments for stress, her doctor might well recommend something else. Also your friend cannot just arrive at the GP surgery and ask to be signed off on your recommendation.

If she is signed off, with any illness, she can go to interviews, with the permission of her headteacher. Same as she can if she is at work. It will be easier to apply and get permission to go if she is at work and (seemingly) healthy.

4. EY_Teacher

EY_Teacher New commenter

If you saw her and had heard what’s going on at her school, you would be telling her to get signed off for a week or two. If she went to the doctor she obviously wouldn’t mention me at all. She would talk about how she’s feeling and what’s going on at work. I gave her advice, as a friend and as someone who has been in a similar situation. My question wasn’t about getting signed off, it was about the interview should she be off when she’s offered one.

5. EY_Teacher

EY_Teacher New commenter

6. caterpillartobutterfly

No I wouldn't. It isn't for me to make that suggestion. People can't 'just get signed off'. If they visit a GP who diagnoses an illness that can't be managed with medication, then they may be signed off for a period of time.

If things are unmanageable, they are unlikely to be better within a week or so.
    It is easier for her to apply for and be released for interview if she is in work. In the long term you might be harming her chances of getting out by hassling her to take time off.

7. EY_Teacher

EY_Teacher New commenter

I am not ‘hassling’ her at all. She is very stressed because she has a head who is bullying her. I made the mistake of not having time off when the doctor advised me to, and I made my health worse. I am a concerned friend who has posted a question (with her knowledge) regarding interviews. She is the fifth teacher I know, sixth including myself, (none at the same schools as each other) who is going through this. Yes, everyone is different, but we all ended up needing time away.
    Responses like yours are the reason I rarely post on here. I appreciate the answer to the question that was asked, I will let her know, but the rest was a bit judgemental and not necessary.

8. caterpillartobutterfly

It isn't about being judgemental. I'm simply saying that only a doctor can make a decision about someone being ill. You might well be able to see that she is stressed and having a tough time, but it isn't sensible to suggest someone should 'get signed off'. It isn't that simple.

And also that her staying at school, however stressful in the short term, might enable her to get out permanently.

9. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

Many members here offer support and advice to others about seeing their gp and getting signed off for a short period of time, there is nothing wrong in this. She can sign herself for the first week if she us struggling, then arrange an appointment before returning.
    Regarding interviews, absolute no reason not to apply for a job whilst off, she may well be back at work before interview anyway. There is no legal reason she can't attend an interview either. She just needs to be honest with the headteacher. If the head genuinely wants her out, they will be quite happy that she's looking elsewhere.
    I hope she sorts things out.

10. caterpillartobutterfly

Advice to see a GP would be very sensible. Advice to 'get signed off for a couple of weeks' is a bit different.

frustum likes this.
  11. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

A good friend, who knows the person well, is quite capable of offering opinions and suggestions that might help. In the OPs opinion, her friend needs time away from her job. There is nothing wrong with suggesting that.
    OP, I hope your friend gets the help she needs. Best wishes.

AlwaysAdaptable and ferry218 like this.