1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interviews for university

Discussion in 'Primary' started by bea-at-uni, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Hi,
    My name is Becky and i have just recently applied to go to university to study B.A. Hons in primary education, ive applied at Birmingham City, Bishop's grot, York st John, and Canterbury Christ Church. I've been lucky enough to be offered interviews at Birmingham and Canterbury so far but im rediculously nervous about the interviews! I'm normally a very outgoing person but can anyone offer me any advice on the interview process?
    Thankyou!

2. Hi,
    My name is Becky and i have just recently applied to go to university to study B.A. Hons in primary education, ive applied at Birmingham City, Bishop's grot, York st John, and Canterbury Christ Church. I've been lucky enough to be offered interviews at Birmingham and Canterbury so far but im rediculously nervous about the interviews! I'm normally a very outgoing person but can anyone offer me any advice on the interview process?
    Thankyou!

3. Hi Becky

I have also applied to study primary teaching but in Scotland. I had an interview for Strathclyde University in Glasgow today and I found that it was quite informal. They just wanted to know a bit about you and what you knew about teaching. I was very nervous before I went in and then felt like I was just having a chat with the interviewer. The course Director also stressed that if you have got to the interview stage you have what it takes you just need to further prove it to somebody's face instead of on paper. Good luck!

4. I am studying a BA Hons in Primary at the moment at Manchester Met Uni, I also applied and had an interview for Leeds Met. The best thing to do is to start reading the TES newspaper which is a specific educational supplement that comes out every Friday. The interview generally wants to know about the experience you have had working with children and what you know about the educational world of teaching. Make small notes and look on websites for example questions they could ask you, write some answers down, this will help you prepare.

Hope this information helps!

5. Have to say, in my two interviews for unis I was never asked anything about the current education policies or practices, or anything government related questions.
    My interviews focused on the potential I had in teaching - looking at my communication skills, my interpersonal skills, the way I interacted with others etc.
    My course has taught me about all of the current and old policies I need.
    I think with PGCE courses, there is an expectation you know more about the government stuff, but for BA courses there is a longer time to be trained and taught about those kinds of things.
    JSY x