1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interviews for UK schools

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by sun5hine, Feb 3, 2019.

1. sun5hine

sun5hine New commenter

Quick question - if international schools are prepared to ask candidates to go through as many skype interviews required before a position is offered, why is it that schools in the UK still want candidates to be there in person. Surely with many teachers leaving the profession in the UK, schools would do their best to accommodate a candidate.

2. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

It's not something the head would have ever done and so it's probably not something they would feel comfortable with. They want people to come in and teach lessons that can be observed and show them around the school etc. It's just about not being adaptable because they've never been in the position of having to be.

There are many teachers leaving the profession, but there are also lots of young lambs joining who will be much cheaper than you and can be there in person for the interview. Until they literally HAVE to Skype they won't.

Also, I'm not sure if I was a UK head I would want to hire someone who had spent the last few years in international schools. Most returning expats I know tire very quickly of being sworn at almost as much as they're observed.

3. 576

576 Established commenter

Face to face interviews are one of the measures specified by safer recruitment guidelines.

Ironically they followed Ian Huntley's killing of Holly and Jessica and were supposed to prevent anything similar, but I can't imagine he did not have a face to face interview for the school caretaker job.

4. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

SKYPE interviews are par for the course with many international schools around the world. In the UK, they are extremely rare and most UK heads usually insist on a face-to-face interview or interviews. Is this likely to change sometime soon? I very much doubt it. The usual argument here is that a face-to-face interview somehow guarantees pupil safety. Oh yeah? Says who?

Teachallover likes this.
  5. sun5hine

sun5hine New commenter

With a face to face interview you can also see how a person interacts with the children but many internationals schools insist on an interview lesson anyway, either in person or through a video. Also someone mentioned about observations... in my school we all have at least 2 per year, which personally I don't mind. I just mind that I lose out on many opportunities in the UK as schools want people to attend in person.

6. Bentley51

Bentley51 Occasional commenter

I Skype interviewed for a position in central London and in Kent, from abroad, and got offered the positions. I think this says a lot about the school and their difficulties in recruiting. Schools in more attractive locations who get 100 applications per position have no need to Skype. It's much easier to interview in person, so accompanied with safer recruitment, I can't see why they would want the extra hassle. This is why CVs aren't accepted in many places.

7. 576

576 Established commenter

Bentley, was that for independent schools ?

8. Bytor

Bytor Occasional commenter

I've recently returned to the UK, before heading off again.

Secured a supply job for the interim in London via an agency. Had potential for becoming a long term post. School Skyped me, and then took me on. Started soon after landing.

Other schools via this and other agencies were interested in Skypes, and a couple that I applied to directly.

All a bit different to 4 or 5 years ago, where no-one was interested in Skyping me.

It will probably depend on the location.

Maybe its a sign of the times, re recruitment and retention in the UK, or perhaps UK schools are being more open to Skype. Less worry for them if via an agency, and if using weekly time sheets. If you're no good, they can ditch you easily.

9. Bentley51

Bentley51 Occasional commenter

No. One was an academy chain. The other was a small state school. I stated in my applications that I would require an online interview or to discuss transport terms with the school if they wanted to interview me in person. Being a UK school without massive pots of money, both opted for online interview.