1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interviews for overseas posts

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by psdkbeec, May 23, 2011.

1. Hi All,
    I have an interview next week for a school in Doha and was wondering if anyone had any information or advice about the whole process of living and working abroad (especially in Doha). Any advice would be greatly appreciated!![​IMG]
    Thanks.

2. Hi,
    I recently got a job in Dubai (September) in a secondary school. I love it. What do you want/need to know?!

3. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter Community helper

The OP has a PM!

4. I lived in Doha for two years between 2005 and 2007 and I have to agree that life there is what you make it. The social side is very expat, which is good and bad. The upside is that there is a strong community and I met some great people. The downside is that it can sometimes feel like a bit of a goldfish bowl. Doha itself is developing and there are more things to do all of the time. It is quite relaxed for The Gulf but you still have to be aware of where you are. Overall, I had a good couple of years and think that a positive minded person would do the same. Some schools are, however, much better than others and you need to do your homework. I was lucky...

5. Hi!
    Sorry its taken sooo long to reply!
    Thanks for all your advice!
    I went for the interview on tuesday and have been offered a job! The job is different to the one i went for! Is it common for this to happen?
    Does anyone have any information about how pensions work abroad? I have tried to do some research into this but its not very clear!
    Any advice/info would be great!
    cheers

6. stopwatch

stopwatch Occasional commenter

The answer to your first question is yes.
    You don't generally get pensions abroad and have to make your own arrangements (saving, investments, buying property etc). Be prepared to think you will be overseas for a couple of years, not bother making provision for pension and then find 10 years later you are still overseas with no/little provision for retirement

7. I lived and worked in Bahrain which although is not Doha (or even Qatar) its only 10 minutes flight away so very similar and the expat circuit does overlap somewhat. I have a lot of friends living in Doha
    Working in the Middle East:
    - Check the school is reputable first, there are plenty of excellent schools out there but also some that employ teachers with no qualifications but still charge fees. BSME (British Schools of the Middle East) has all the official British schools as members - check out the website for more information.
    - It is common to get a different job than you applied for and even to be moved around more often. The half term notice rule generally is not applicable in a lot of places.
    - The children will probably be better behaved than you are used to here in the UK BUT there are a lot of very pushy parents.
    - You will have to get up much earlier for work but the plus side is school will probably not go past 2pm if that so you have all afternoon!
    Living in the Middle East:
    - Many schools will have an active social life amongst the staff and generally new staff have either a buddy or events set up for them to get used to living in the new country.
    - NEVER turn down an invitation to a BBQ/dinner/drinks/game of golf etc.
    - If you have hobbies try find clubs you can join. I am a guide leader and I love netball so I joined a netball team at the British club (also a good place to meet people - and Rugby clubs) and became a Guide leader through the school I worked at. Moving to the Middle East is also a great oppourtunity to start something new as its much cheaper and you just have more time!
    - The shopping is amazing.
    Enjoy!

8. Thanks!
    I thought that would be the case.
    Do you know if you can pay NI contributions whilst your working abroad ?
    Also is it worth taking out a private pension? Like you said I don't want to have been working there for 10/15years and then realise that i haven't got anything to fall back on when i retire!

9. Or you could ask for an allowance and not have your colleagues living beside, below and above you. Maybe have the occasional/odd non-English speaking person about...
    As long as they speak English.
    Doha.