1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interviews during Coronavirus

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Ravenwaves, Apr 3, 2020.

1. Ravenwaves

Ravenwaves New commenter

Hi all,
    Sorry if I’ve double posted. Poor internet connection this evening.
    I am applying for a Head of Dept job to start in Sept.
    Has anyone been involved in the interview process during lockdown?
    Just wondering - even if interview is done over phone/Skype, surely they can’t employ someone without seeing them teach?
    Thanks.

2. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Yes, not really as big a deal as you think. Qualified and with references. The chances of you being a poor teacher are quite low.

NorthWest likes this.
  3. shevington

shevington Occasional commenter

For those who are long in the tooth,will tell you never had people teaching lessons while before being interviewed including NQT,s. Teaching a class does not tell whether you will have good management skills. Best of luck in your search for a new job

4. TeacherMan19

TeacherMan19 Occasional commenter

And almost every international job is a Skype interview.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

As I file my long teeth down, I can confirm that.

And that!

In the B.TL era, the very few cases (well, only one actually) of a wrong appointment made because the person did turn out to have problems in class and couldn't be helped, we had actually had doubts when selecting but allowed ourselves to be over-ruled by the strong views of one panel member.

Skype or similar interviews do need a bit of forward planning, however. You should be reading the chapter on that in THIS, as well as the rest of the advice, of course!

Good luck in the search. Just one extra piece of advice.

If you are applying to an Indy school, you might like to ask if they have any teachers currently on furlough. You may not know what this is, if you are working in a state school. Briefly, it's a system for businesses (and indy schools are businesses) whereby instead of sacking staff to save money, they put them on furlough, meaning that they temporarily suspend their employment, and the govt pays 80% of salary, up to a certain maximum.

This is a way of businesses saving money from staff they don't need at the moemnt.

A school putting support staff on furlough is not a worry. But a school where they are furloughing a good proportion of their teaching staff could be one of the less financially secure schools.

Best of luck!

6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Ask if the school are still part of the TPS and if they intend to remain so.

steely1 likes this.
  7. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Occasional commenter

I’m retiring in the summer so I won’t really be participating in interview process - however, my successor who has already been appointed has been conducting video interviews via Skype with the Deputy Headteacher.

8. steely1

steely1 Occasional commenter

For what it's worth, to add to what's already been posted here and in answer to the OP's question - yes, schools can appoint without seeing someone teach. A few of my colleagues in the last few weeks have been interviewed online and been offered jobs; their references from schools have sufficed in terms of evidence that they can teach.