1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interviews are in january, teaching post starts in february - resignation help!!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by brammeryasmin, Jan 5, 2018.

1. brammeryasmin

brammeryasmin New commenter

I've applied to a job whereby the interviews are the week commencing 15th Jan. I'm on a maternity contract till 29th of march at my current school. They've put my contract end date as the last day before the Easter hols - which could mean 2.5 weeks no pay! (I cant afford to lose that much pay).
    The new job start date is February 2018. What on earth does this mean with regard to my current contract? When do I give resignation? When do I leave here and when can I start there?

Any advice welcomed.

2. Landofla

Landofla Established commenter

Is your current contract through a supply agency?

I can see it being quite difficult to get out of early. You need the sch to agree to it really. If you need to go to an interview, you need to be discussing this with your current sch really.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  3. brammeryasmin

brammeryasmin New commenter

My current contract is with the school. I thought I would be getting paid over the holidays, as the job advert said fixed term till April, but when they gave me the contract (4 months later), it had till the day before Easter on it (which is March).

I feel like my current school have me over a barrel.

4. Landofla

Landofla Established commenter

Yes I think they pretty much do. Sounds like the sort of thing you should have brought up when you were given the contract... Still that doesn’t help your situation regarding the possible job start in February...