1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interviews and Salaries in Spain

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by rosamondharte, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Hi all

I am desperately trying to find a teaching post anywhere in Spain for next year and am sending my CV around as many places as I can. Received an email from a school just outside Valencia this week , inviting me for interview in April. I am concerned about the possibility of spending time and considerbale expense flying over to Spain for jobs that I may very well not get. Do any schools offer telephone/videoconference interviews? And is a gross salary of 1800 euro a month standard, good or bad in Spain?

Any advice greatly appreciated

2. Hi all

I am desperately trying to find a teaching post anywhere in Spain for next year and am sending my CV around as many places as I can. Received an email from a school just outside Valencia this week , inviting me for interview in April. I am concerned about the possibility of spending time and considerbale expense flying over to Spain for jobs that I may very well not get. Do any schools offer telephone/videoconference interviews? And is a gross salary of 1800 euro a month standard, good or bad in Spain?

Any advice greatly appreciated

3. Low to standard. Consider 17% Income tax (single person) and social security (200 euros plus). Do they offer 12, 14 or 15 pays?
    I would enquire about workload, duties and if it is a 10 month contract, if so you will go on the dole in July and August or worse still you might have to do a summer course in July. Beware!
    Do a search on Valencia.
    There are other opportunities for working in Spain, if you are prepared to go anywhere.

4. Thank you for taking the time to reply. The info sheet I was sent states that its a ten month contact and you have to work in the summer school and then they will make it a 12 month contract if both parties are agreeable.

I dont mind taking a reasonable paycut if the cost of living is less in comparison to the UK, but having read other posts, I am not so sure it is!

5. We all do... and we travel, buy flats and land, have children, eat well, drink well and dress well (if you want to).
    It seems that Spain has become a no-fly zone and yet people seem to stay forever. Well, except for the ones who have taught in Spanish owned private schools in the sun.
    Pay varies from one Comunidad Autónoma to another. I do extras for the MEC and BC, which I can do, as I finish at 2 (3 days a week) and 3 (2 days a week).
    A colleague who started off on the project is now working in an International school in Ibiza and loving it.
    Or the reverse happens, teachers from international and private schools join the project.
    You can make a lot of money in Spain if you are prepared to do extras. El inglés es todavía una asignatura pendiente.
    The day job is just for the holidays, 14 pays, social security and pension.

6. I agree entirely and once you're in, you can do oposiciones as many do. If you are a British teacher a pass is almost guaranteed. As I said, Spain is crying out for English teachers.

7. Thanks notyet- that is helpful. I just panicked because my salary is several thousand GBP more and lasts me until the middle of the month at best here, but I have a lot of outgoings , large rent etc.

I really really want to make this happen, just terrified of ending up destitute!

Do you think its worth emailing them my CV since the application deadline is closed?

8. Many of the International schools advertise for a teacher of English, but I'm assuming they mean by this a teacher of English here in the UK, who can teach Literature etc. Is it ever worth chancing my arm for such posts as I could never do so here in Northern Ireland?

9. Yeah..go for it. And if you like you can mention my name to María Triviño in your letter of application. I hope you're good! I'll Pm you.
    One thing I must mention is that the schools are usually situated in lower-socio-economic areas because the conceit of the project is to give 'other' children the opportunity to learn English.
    Our curriculum is based on the NC so it won't be strange to you. However, vacancies are usually in cold, desolate places and unfriendly cities. Nobody leaves the beautiful places like Asturias, Navarra etc. But there are many opportunities for teacher training etc.
    If you want to live in Spain, I think it is the best option for a foothold in the system. You will have your 14 pays and all those holidays. We hardly work first term. CyL offer indefinite contracts from day 1 and trienios.
    What have you got to lose? If you don't like it you leave and/or after 2 years you can apply to move to another school in another city or town.
    Good luck!