1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interviews and References

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by steveybeardy, Jul 4, 2020.

1. steveybeardy

steveybeardy New commenter

Morning All,

I hope that you and your families are well.

I wondered if an HR guru could help me?

I am on an interview panel for an internal post for a teaching assistant. One of the applicants has asked me to be their reference - is this allowed or deemed as poor practice? I only know them in a professional capacity. Their current employer is our school as they are a lunchtime supervisor.

I'd appreciate your guidance and thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

An HR purist might argue that no-one on the panel should also be giving the reference but in schools that is almost inevitable because Safer Recruitment requires the current head to be given as a reference and references are usually called for before the interview takes place. Whenever I've sat on interview panels (as a governor) the internal candidates always had a reference from the head and the head was always on the interview panel (for teaching jobs).

So in practice it happens all the time.

The same point of course will always arise in a different way for internal candidates as the recruitment panel will know them but won't know the external candidates. That's inevitable in any type of job.

IMO what matters is that the panel follows a transparent and clearly recorded process and can justify its decision on objective criteria.

If you are concerned check with your school HR or with the Head that it's not an issue.

3. steveybeardy

steveybeardy New commenter

Many thanks for your response.