1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interviews and pregnancy

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by honeymarmalade, Jun 29, 2015.

1. honeymarmalade

honeymarmalade Occasional commenter

I am in the latter stages of my pregnancy - in other words I am unable to conceal my impending arrival! - and I am hoping to get back into teaching.

I have seen a couple of positions I could apply for but am unsure whether or not I should explain on the application form or covering letter that I am currently pregnant.

On the one hand I don't want to make it sound more important than it is as it were but also it is going to be obvious if I am invited to attend an interview!

Does anybody have any suggestions as to how this is best approached?

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

You say nothing until/unless you've accepted a job. Trust me, the head will prefer it if there's no possibility of your being able to say that you were not shortlisted because of your pregnancy!

As for it being obvious when they see you - unless they say "Oh no, we didn't realise you were pregnant!" OR the only other candidate is clearly drunk/mad but is still appointed in preference to the pregnant woman - it is to be hoped you'll either get the job or not get it purely on the merits of the best candidate.

3. honeymarmalade

Thanks, middlemarch. Is equitette to pretend it doesn't exist, then? :) It is a job that starts in January by which time my baby will be a few months old.

4. Middlemarch

Not "pretend" - you have every right to apply and every right to be treated the same as someone/all candidates who are NOT pregnant.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Not just etiquette, commonsense, and the correct legal approach!

As MM says, make no mention of it all in the application. In the interview they should not mention it either, not even to ask what your childcare plans are, as taking into account a candidate's family situation (including a soon-to-be family!) is illegal.

The only way they might mention it would be to ask you, when you arrive and waddle in, if you need any special consideration. Even if they don't ask that, if you are going to need frequent loo breaks, say so. When you arrive, not before!

Good luck!

P.S. have you seen all the applications and interview advice articles? Posters swear by'em!

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each

6. honeymarmalade

Thank you :)

I have been shortlisted so we will see ...

7. honeymarmalade

Just thought I'd update and let you know I was successful in the interview and will start the post in January, all being well.

Just have to wait for the baby now!

8. Middlemarch

Good for you! I'm really pleased for you and glad to have been of some help.

9. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

Congratulations!

10. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

Yes, well done. Excellent news.

11. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

Lovely news! Well done you!

12. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

It's so good to hear Good News on WD and that there are morally and legally responsible management teams out there :)

13. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

It is great to hear how things went; we don't often get feedback. Congratulations, and I hope all goes well with your baby and your new job.