1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interviewing the Monday after a position closes - odd? Also, short term contracts.

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Ronson, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Ronson

Ronson New commenter

I've just noticed a job for a two term contract near me that's being advertised as the close date being this Friday, and they start interviewing the week starting the Monday after. However, they also state they will seek references before interview. Surely there's no way references could arrive that quickly. Am I being paranoid, or does this seem like a position where they've already got a candidate in mind and are advertising for show?

On a related note, about two third of the jobs I've seen seem to be for temporary contracts of two terms. I've applied for a few of these so far - no interviews yet, I think I need to re-jig my personal statement - but would I be better sticking to permanent roles. My concern is that I'll end up without a job or back on supply in September next year, and since I'll have been working full time I'll have not had the chance to do visits for jobs starting in September. But then again, I'd have got two terms of induction under my belt and some pension payments in.

2. Ronson

Ronson New commenter

I've just noticed a job for a two term contract near me that's being advertised as the close date being this Friday, and they start interviewing the week starting the Monday after. However, they also state they will seek references before interview. Surely there's no way references could arrive that quickly. Am I being paranoid, or does this seem like a position where they've already got a candidate in mind and are advertising for show?

On a related note, about two third of the jobs I've seen seem to be for temporary contracts of two terms. I've applied for a few of these so far - no interviews yet, I think I need to re-jig my personal statement - but would I be better sticking to permanent roles. My concern is that I'll end up without a job or back on supply in September next year, and since I'll have been working full time I'll have not had the chance to do visits for jobs starting in September. But then again, I'd have got two terms of induction under my belt and some pension payments in.

3. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Apply for everything.
    I wouldn't say the reference thing was too odd. They'll probably ask for them as the applications come in and with the use of email should be pretty straightforward. Don't worry to much or we'd never apply for anything.
    Best of luck x

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

They want to get the interviews in while there are still normal classes going on, not Christmas activities.
    That's why!
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

5. happygreenfrog

happygreenfrog Occasional commenter

To the OP: yes you are being paranoid.
    A short telephone call to your referree can simply confirm some points made in your application and easily done, or the school may interview first and then pursue written references being offering a contract.
    I've 13 years experience at primary level teaching and every year has been put together on temporary contracts. It is more and more common - overseas it is standard practice - and a result of changing pupil numbers in inner city schools and funding issues, as well as the obvious maternity and sickness needs. APPLY FOR EVERYTHING. What you need is experience and more important is tyring to minimise times out of work with long term cover or short term contracts.

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

It would get into Hot Water if it did - this is contrary to Statutory Guidance!
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.

7. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Being realistic in today's job market and with schools budgets constantly being cut, I think you may have to accept more and more posts will be 'temporay in the first instance' (often the wording in my LA) and just go for anything,especially if you've still induction to complete.

8. frankieneedssomesunshine

frankieneedssomesunshine New commenter

Your not being paranoid. Schools have to advertise a position even if they already have an internal candidate in mind.
    Ive wasted time applying for positions, got to the interview stage only for someone who was not as good as me get the position because they were already at the school. Even the staff in the staffroom said the other candidate was not as good as me but was pally with the SLT! This has also happened to several of my colleagues.
    I saw a position where the deadline was the friday, I rung the school on the monday & was told they had already appointed! Good luck with job hunting but be aware this does happen.

9. happygreenfrog

happygreenfrog Occasional commenter

Fair enough - you know more than me BUT . . .
    I was once rejected for a short term post because of my hair style at that time, long braided hair, the school refusing to provide any other reason why I was unsuitable after a very successful interview, and for which I'd been the only candidate interviewed. I doubt that is allowed under Statutory Guidance either!

10. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

As long as it wasn't indirect racial discrimination (Afro-Caribbean culture . . .), it would be fine if the person spec for the post included something about Appropriate standards of personal presentation.
    Stupid, mind you, but not in breach of anything.
    Best wishes