1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interviewing for the first time!

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by ecleaver, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Hello All

On Friday I will be on the interviewing side of the table for the first time as Head of Department. I need some help to devise questions to ask candidates please! I really want to focus on their keenness to develop professionally and become a key member of the team...

All ideas appreciated! Thank you.

2. Hello All

On Friday I will be on the interviewing side of the table for the first time as Head of Department. I need some help to devise questions to ask candidates please! I really want to focus on their keenness to develop professionally and become a key member of the team...

All ideas appreciated! Thank you.

3. MarkS

MarkS New commenter

Hi there,
    The main thing is to make the candidates comfortable so they can sell themselves...but then challenge them with the right questions!
    Inbox me if you want a list of questions by e-mail!
    Mark

4. Hi,
    I am also going to be interviewing for the first time and would appreciate it if I could have a copy of those questions.
    Thanks Jayne.

5. Hi could you send me the list of questions and if possible 'good' answers please?

Thanks.

6. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

Why don't we just sit the interview in your place while you're at it!

7. This is ridiculous. Why don't you ask them what you want to find out about them?!
    You've already had some ideas about focus for questions - surely you can formulate those into questions?
    e.g. How do/would you identify and develop your CPD needs?

8. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

If you're a HOD, that's extremely worrying - you honestly don't know what 'good' answers would look like?

I suspect, however, that you're a candidate - in which case, you don't deserve an interview, let alone the job.

9. sfire

sfire New commenter

If Masterjee is a candidate then good on him/her for doing their research but I would say Masterjee that you need to come up with your own ''good answers".
    Why do teachers get on their high horse and get nasty...I say this because I know of teachers that have been bullied by other teachers and too often horrible comments get thrown about on here too. As the old saying goes if you dont have anything good to say then dont say anything at all.

10. Middlemarch

Sometimes you have to tell it like it is, I'm afraid. Hearing something you don't like isn't 'bullying', either. I'm tired of seeing the same old 'Give me the answers' threads on TES.

And before anyone weighs in with 'I thought teachers supported each other', I give more support to people on here than most people have given in their entire careers. But there's a vast difference between 'support' and 'doing it for you.'

By the way something "good" can be something that someone needs to hear. Professional, competent people such as teachers don't need fluffy, they need realistic comments.

11. Agreed, which is why I now use your mindmap methods for preparing for interviews instead of preparing answers to particular questions as I used to (I will use them as cross references on the mindmap to come up with star points in future).

Aside from that, I'm sure that as a Head Teacher, MM, you are in a position to confirm or deny what I've suspected about the many interviews that I've attended as a candidate, which is that schools and colleges have policies on how interviews should be conducted and what to ask, so if any HoDs don't know what to ask, they should be speaking to SLT/HR in the first instance, as they are the people who design the questions and recording sheets to use in the interview, rather than looking for a cribsheet from other tes users working in schools which have totally different policies (btw, I have been a HoD, so am speaking from both sides of the fence here).

12. Middlemarch

That is certainly my experience. I will add that any HODs who are tasked with coming up with questions for a subject teacher interview ought to begin (and end) with the job description and person spec, since candidates will assume that their interview process will be based upon these. As a result, another HOD's questions might not suit a different HOD's school interview process.

13. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Some posters on this forum may be interested in my:
    <u>New Interview Service!!!</u>
    I must point out that this is a personal initiative, nothing to do with my work with TES, who, for some reason, have not taken up my suggestion of this service. Hence I am doing it privately.
    I do the observed lesson for you!
    I do the presentation for you, AND provide the PowerPoint and handouts!
    I do the interview for you!
    You get the job !!!!!!
    For this I charge a modest fee, to be arranged individually.
    <u>Advantages</u>
    • You don't have to post asking for someone to give you a plan for the lesson!
    • You don't have to post asking for someone to give you the ideas for the presentation!
    • You don't have to post asking for someone to give you the questions and answers!
    • You don't have to put up with mean, unhelpful, people like Middlemarch telling you that if you can't do it yourself, you're not ready for the job!
    For Caucasian females, I will wear a wig to your description. For males and non-Caucasians, I will wear leather gloves and full-face bandages, explaining that I have had an accident with a gas oven.
    <u>Satisfaction guaranteed!</u>
    I am forced by Trading Standards to point out possible disadvantages:
    • You may be appointed to a job that you cannot do, so are very stressed and unhappy
    • You may be appointed to a job that is beyond your capabilities, so the school takes out Capability procedures against you
    Just contact me by PM to arrange for
    TheoGriff to do your interview for you!!!!!!!

14. Middlemarch

*Waits for some people to think Theo is serious*

15. Have PM'd you! :)

16. *waits for MM and Theo to think that I was being serious in my last post*

17. Middlemarch

*Wonders how long this waiting could go on for*

18. LOL

Wish you told me this earlier, Moony! :)

19. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

One of my best results - Moony went from the NQT year straight to Academy Principal at &pound;120,000 per annum, with a company car.
    Proof that my service really pays dividends.
    I did warn you about taking too much dosh from the sponsors . . .
    Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, every week in print in the TES magazine, or in person at one of the TES Careers Advice Service seminars or individual consultations

20. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

He he, this thread is funny!