1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interviewing for a job outside of teaching

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by lucyjo1991, Dec 31, 2015.

1. lucyjo1991

lucyjo1991 New commenter

Hi Theo,
    I am currently in my second year of teaching. I moved schools after my nqt year and since September I've been in a very nice school nearer to home. However, I'm still not enjoying teaching - it's just not for me.
    I'm going to apply for a job in a private tuition centre for September but I don't know how to handle it with the school I'm in at the moment. If I get an interview, it's likely to be in term time as the school holidays are their busiest time. There's an interview followed by an assessment day if you're successful. I'm worried that if I tell the school I'm going for interviews and then don't get the job and change my mind about staying it might be very awkward and the school may be reluctant to invest in me as a professional. However, I obviously can't lie. I was thinking maybe I could ask for an unpaid personal day for a 'private appointment' but I don't know how well that is likely to go down. Can I have some advice please?

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

You must be entirely honest when you ask for leave of absence, paid or unpaid - this is because your contract of employment requires you to be available to work for 195 days and any leave at all is subject to the school's policy and/or head's discretion. As a head, I wouldn't have agreed to leave of absence for something as nebulous as a "private appointment", largely because it would set a precedent and possibly lead to others wanting (for example) the last day of term in order to go on holiday earlier.

People apply for other jobs all the time in schools.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I'm sorry that teaching has turned out to be a disappointment to you. After all your effort to get qualified with your PGCE, and then doing your induction year - really sad.

But now having made the decision to leave, you will need to go and see your Head and explain the whole situation, saying that you may be called for interview and hope that it will be possible for you to go, even though it will mean missing work.

Because you see, your Head doesn't have to give you time off for any interview, not even for an interview for a teaching post, unless s/he wants to. It is normal to give time off for interviews, but not obligatory, and sometimes a Head is justified in saying No.

If the answer is No, although that's pretty unlikely, then at that point you could offer to lose a day's pay, so that they can bring in a supply teacher to cover your absence.

And you will also need to ask your Head about being a referee, as it's very likely that the Private Tuition Centre will wish for a reference from your current school. That's another reason for making sure that you go and see the Head before applying!

So I agree with @Middlemarch's advice about not asking for a day off for private reasons. Partly because you are unlikely to get it, very unlikely, and partly because you will need the Head to know that you are applying, for the reference.

Do I have to tell my Head I am applying elsewhere?

And if that job application doesn't work out, and you start applying elsewhere, do remember that you cannot just give in your notice and start another a job at any old time. Some employers outside normal teaching don't understand that there are set dates for resigning and giving notice.

Actually, some newish teachers don't either!

Leaving dates and resignation dates

Easter resignations - different term dates old school new school

Good luck!

Best wishes for 2016

4. lucyjo1991

lucyjo1991 New commenter

Thank you Theo and Middlemarch for your help and advice. I think I'm going to have do some real soul searching this half term - as you said, it's sad that I feel this way having done so much training. I had a very difficult nqt year for various reasons and haven't felt like I've developed a great deal since the the end of my pgce. I've had some teething problems with behaviour management at my new school but maybe I need to give it a bit more time.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

(The missing thumbs-up emoticon)

6. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I wasn't entirely happy for the first 3 years of my teaching career - indeed, I even applied to (and was accepted, but didn't take it up as I was swiftly offered a promotion by the head) the probation service as I felt so unsettled.

After 15 years in teaching I got my first headship...

Stick at it - it's not at all uncommon for young teachers (because it's a hard job!) to feel they want to do something else - and I've usually found that it's those who are most self-critical who go the furthest in teaching.