1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Interviewed but know job has gone elsewhere.

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by stakhanov, Feb 3, 2012.

  1. So, interviewed as a teaching couple at a fair last week with quite a good school (School A). Went well with a promise that we'd hear by end of this week but still no word. Offered positions at same fair with not quite as good school (School B) who have been prepared to wait to hear from us.
    Friend of spouse emails her today to say that she's been offered the position wife interviewed for (unbeknownst to both) at School A. Not only that - on follow up she tells wife she was offered the job and accepted it the same night we interviewed. So we have been left hanging by School A for over a week despite them having offered the job and having it accepted.
    I've emailed School A asking for an indication with no reply.
    So do we just accept School B? Or do we wait another day or two hoping that there's something else in the pipeline to be offered by School A?



     
  2. Accept school B. That´s my opinion, based on what you say.
     
  3. Go for school B.
     
  4. A different question...
    I've interviewed with a school (in January), and today, the job I interviewed for was taken off their website. I've heard from them twice since the interview, but no offer; just that they were going to the fairs.
    They haven't contacted me, but can I assume that I've lost out on that one?
    (No need to sugar coat your replies...I'll still get a job! (he says confidently...))
     
  5. Pal of mine went to the London Fair to be interviewed by a school there even though he wasn't registered with the recruiting agency. He got the job before the sign up. His mate - who was registered - went in to the sign up and was then offered an interview for the same post. They have said they will be in touch. I wonder if they will.
    He said he particularly enjoyed the lecture on candidate ethics given by the organisers.
     
  6. percy topliss

    percy topliss Established commenter

    I realise that I am going to leave myself open to a lot of flack here but I think it needs to be said. When you go to an interview it is a very big thing, to YOU. However the people on the other side of the table are probably going to see 5 or in the case of a job fair up to 15 candidates that day. They will say whatever they need to say to keep you happy and, perhaps, hungry. If you are their first choice they will let you know more or less straight away. If, though, you are on their reserve list they will give you a date in the future when they may, or may not, get in touch with you. Many schools get an awful lot of applications and interview only a few candidates. They are worried that if their first choice, which is often made before the interview,on the strength of a jolly good CV, turns them down, they will be left with no-one to fill their post so they hedge their bets.
    Anyway chat over ......take job B...... Job A was never going to be yours.

    Perce
     
  7. gulfgolf

    gulfgolf Established commenter

    Chances are, in both scenarios, you should go with School B. It seems they probably are not going to make an offer.
    I will offer one glimmer of hope.... It is just possible that there is a second position at the school that is also open, and that you're in line for that one. It often happens in larger schools - they need not one, but two or even three, primary teachers, or maths teachers, or whatever. If you're talking about a highly specialized position, well, it's less likely. Or maybe there's another position, not the same as the one you discussed, but within your grasp, that the school is thinking about. So if your CV is a little more flexible,there might still be a chance.
     
  8. kemevez

    kemevez Occasional commenter

    The "best" schools aren't the best at everything. I say go with your heart. I'd go for B. Probably.
     
  9. afterdark

    afterdark Lead commenter

    That sounds like a 'no' then...it is not quite "don't call us, we'll call you" but close.

    I think perhaps you should not have interviewed for school B if you weren't going to say yes. Unless school B offered without interview..in which case you should seriously ask why.
    The difficulty with this scenario is how much can you trust this friend? What if they know that you will be offered the job unless you decide to accept elsewhere and they are the second choice?
     

Share This Page