1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview.

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by kedi_uk, Jul 12, 2012.

1. Hi,
    I've got my first interview for a teaching position in RE. I have to teach 25 minutes on Hajj. I haven't taught Hajj before and I've not been observed for a long time.
    I'm scared to death.
    Any help or tips?
    Thanks in advance.

2. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

pick a style of lesson you like doing and are good at

make your objectives before you plan the lesson

make sure each part of the lesson shows progress toward your objectives.

3. Also depends what year you are teaching?
    1. Briefly explain hajj.
    2. Split kids into pairs on way in/when you are in there and give them a main event on the hajj.
    3. Give each pair an A3 plan of the Hajj with the main areas noted - then give each group basic information on their event and get them to briefly explain on map.
    3. Now give them up to 8-10mins to circulate to other pairs where they have to feedback about their event and take down information on the others.
    4. Once done give them a short written piece on describing what they think the most challenging part is on the hajj. A few lines plus have sentence starters/connectives especially to show differentating - Ask who needs help and give to them.
    5. Give them all a piece of card/paper/mini white boards and ask them to write what they think was most challenging - just the event e.g. Mina on the card/paper etc
    6. All hold up to show you - pick on different ones to explain and develop using what they wrote earlier. Push some to explain in more detail.
    Well its an idea anyway if you are still stuck.

4. Don't be scared! That's the major bit of advice I can give you. Relax and the class will relax with you - as will your observers.

5. McCahey

McCahey New commenter

Thanks allieb I like this idea and will also use this.
    Kedi, you will also have to show progression within the lesson. Use a quick traffic light system:
    • at the start of your lesson green/ amber/ red- know lots/ know some/ know nothing. Ask class to put hand up to show which colour they are on.
    • Repeat question at the end of the lesson.
    • Hopefully no more reds and lots will have changed colour!!
    • AFL box ticked
    Good luck