1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Mackem85, May 2, 2012.

1. Mackem85

Mackem85 New commenter

I have an interview for a post next week. I have had a couple of interviews for roles so know how they work. However, the lesson I need to teach for this one is a bit strange, its to teach "an introductory lesson for people who may wish to take your subject in 6th form". It's left it really open as to how I do this. Therefore, I was confused whether to teach a lesson as normal, or whether I would need to outline how the course is structured, content etc

2. Mackem85

Mackem85 New commenter

I have an interview for a post next week. I have had a couple of interviews for roles so know how they work. However, the lesson I need to teach for this one is a bit strange, its to teach "an introductory lesson for people who may wish to take your subject in 6th form". It's left it really open as to how I do this. Therefore, I was confused whether to teach a lesson as normal, or whether I would need to outline how the course is structured, content etc

3. That is unusual, but it seems fairly straightforward - think about what students need to know to make an informed decision about their subjects. Then ignore that and sell your subject shamelessly :p
    In all seriousness, you have to assume that you are actually being placed in front of Y11 students that the department wants to recruit for the subject. I don't know what subject area you're in, but you'd want to have:
    A) an information session:
    - What sort of subject it is (eg History: Hard, well-respected humanity: learning factual information, writing essays, critical analysis)
    - Quick summary of the modules, topics covered, how it's assessed (how many exams? How long? Sat when?)
    - What skills students will develop over the 2 years
    - What degree courses it'll help them to get onto
    - What sort of career paths people with this A-Level could take
    B) an engagement session:
    Some form of activity in which the students get to "do" the subject for a little while - equivalent to the most fun / offbeat lessons they might do during the A-Level. Eg Maths: some form of investigation, or an algebraic sorting task, trying to find whether statements such as "2x=x+4" are always true, sometimes true or never true...
    Or for psychology, 2-3 working memory tests and a class discussion of the implications of the results found.
    Then a quick summary at the end covering the top 2-3 salient points on why your subject is one to strongly consider.
    That's what I'd do, anyhow.