1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview

Discussion in 'Music' started by ethnic, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Hello

I had an interview a couple of weeks a go for a Head of Music position. One of the questions that came up was 'Can you describe a leading edge, world class music curriculum'?' Well that one really stumped me! They didn't appoint. They were looking for superman and wonder woman I think!!

I have an interview for another Head of Music position. It is a selective school and very multicultural. Hitherto, I have performed really badly when it comes to the lesson part of interviews, in my opinion, mostly because I feel I try too fit too much in and I just try too hard and prepare too much. I know I am a good teacher as I already have had 14 years experience teaching at Head of Department level in outstanding selective schools. I think the problem is that I have been unemployed for over a year and have had to battle with depression due to personal circumstances - mother's illness - so my confidence has been knocked considerably. Anyway my question is:

I have to teach a 30 minute lesson to Year 7s introducing them to African music, it's role in the community, focusing on oral traditions. They have asked that I focus on the creation of an instrumental performance. What would you do? I was thinking of focusing on call & response and how the leader uses rhythm to indicate a change in the music. I was going to focus on using call & response as an introduction then using one or two simple, syncopated rhythms like the 3/2 clave rhythm. I was also going to incorporate some improvisation. Do you think a listening activity would be too much?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ethnic

2. Thanks Rockmeamadeus

That has clarified a few things for me.

Cheers

Ethnic

3. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

Good luck ethnic with this interview! Rockme is absolutely right, they want to see how you interact with these children and so long as you teach confidently with fairness and clarity, you'll be fine. I'd make sure there was a stated outcome for this lesson, the teaching experience of the lesson and a tiny bit of evaluation (if that's appropriate). I'd reduce your activities as that could be developed in later lessons - show that in your lesson plans maybe?
    I do wish you all the best - let us know how it goes!
    joni x

4. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

That almost comes into the category of trick questions.
    I'd expect the answer to be fairly robust, e.g. "If such a curriculum exists, every school in the world would be following it".

5. Thanks everyone and thank you jonowen. I will let you know how it goes.