1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview :-)

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by courage taker, Jan 16, 2012.

1. I've secured an interview :). I'm starting to prepare and feeling panicky. I realise I'm so lucky to have got this far. I'm secondary trained and it's for a yr 5/6 class Teacher. Before training I did support work in special needs across the key stages. I am also TESOL trained. I would really like some advice on the interview which involves preparing and delivering a 15 minute guided reading session.
    I have limited experience in this area. the post is come about due to extra funding and involves working with weaker pupils before their stats.
    Tips on guided reading greatly appreciated , I will be provided with the levels of the children in advance. For the moment this is my dream job and I'm prepared to put lots of work to cover any gaps in my knowledge/experience.

2. I've secured an interview :). I'm starting to prepare and feeling panicky. I realise I'm so lucky to have got this far. I'm secondary trained and it's for a yr 5/6 class Teacher. Before training I did support work in special needs across the key stages. I am also TESOL trained. I would really like some advice on the interview which involves preparing and delivering a 15 minute guided reading session.
    I have limited experience in this area. the post is come about due to extra funding and involves working with weaker pupils before their stats.
    Tips on guided reading greatly appreciated , I will be provided with the levels of the children in advance. For the moment this is my dream job and I'm prepared to put lots of work to cover any gaps in my knowledge/experience.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I think that for any help on guided reading you can do two things:
    1) do a search here on this Forum for "guided reading". We had some discussion about it a few months ago.
    2) Go to Primary and search and ask there.
    In addition, I'll say that you might want to read the interview advice in the Interview clickables inside the Welcome thread at the top of the Forum.
    Really well done for getting that interview - you must be really pleased!
    Best wishes.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Wow, congratulations on getting that interview!
    As to guided reading, your TESOL experience will come in useful here. But for mother tongue you'll need to 'go a little further' and look at inference, intention of author, reason for choice of words etc. rather than simple decoding of text.
    Decide on a clear lesson focus- have a look at the AF criteria and then see if you can find a suitable text for that lesson objective. Look at differentiation, you'll probably have to do this 'off the cuff' in the actual lesson depending on the actual children in front of you.
    So stop feeling panicky. They consider you have potential or they wouldn't be bothering with an interview (competition is really tight these days!)You have some experience which will be useful, so now concentrate on looking at what to teach, how to teach that and get preparing.
    Best of luck!

5. Thanks for your encouragement and advice Lara. Sadly, I didn't get the post. Good feedback but they appointed someone with more knowledge and experience of primary framework.
    Here we go again.....

6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Sorry about that. [​IMG]
    So, somehow for your next interview you need to get in some experience of the primary framework!
    So you do know about our Flowers . . . thread don't you? Pop along in abit and see if there's been a delivery.
    <h3> </h3>