1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview

Discussion in 'Music' started by v12, Oct 15, 2011.

1. v12

v12

I can't imagine such a question being asked at interview, to be honest.
    More like - can you handle a budget - how do you cope with a challenging pupil/class - can we see you teach a lesson on rhythm and pulse - what are your first thoughts on developing music within the school - do you play the piano well enough to accompany Grade VIII entrants - what have you been doing for the last year.
    Simple, tangible questions with real answers.
    By-the-way, I have no idea what PLT, AFL and APS stand for! Should I be aware of them as well?

2. PLTS = Personal Learning and Thinking skills - your school should have a whole-school approach to these.
    AFL = Assessment for learning (not sure what other sorts of assessment there are, but there you go - yet another statement of the obvious from the UNited Board of Idiots at the ministry for brainwashing and social control. . . sorry department for education and skills).
    APS - god knows!
    Of course, we could just carry on teaching children about music.
    Developments in Music - how does the subject fit within the Ebac framework? Why should students who don't want a career in music take the subject?

3. silverfern

silverfern New commenter

APS: is that like GPS? Academic Positioning System....?
    It actually means 'Average Point Score'. Same thing really. League Table-speak.

4. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

If there were to be a question on "current developments in music", I'd expect a candidate to mention the findings of the Darren Henley review that came out earlier this year (plus the fact that we are still waiting for the government's response to it - The National Plan for Music Education - although it is expected Real Soon Now).

5. Ethnic you have made me smile as I feel I have a interiew at the same girls school on tuesday!

6. Yep, the Henley review documents are available to download and read at your leisure. Definitely suggest you quote some of his findings at the interview as they are the current music educational topics really. I agree with previous poster about saying you've not heard of him.