1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by little_miss_teach, May 20, 2011.

1. little_miss_teach

little_miss_teach New commenter

Hi
    So I have an interview on Monday and am quite happy picking a topic, activities etc but unlike previous interviews this is only a 20 minute lesson. Normally I would demonstrate the three part lesson but as I'm sat here I'm wondering otherwise. My question is I want to do a quick starter - main of 10 to 15 and then a quick sum up plenary am I rushing it and asking too much?

2. Its the quality of teaching they are looking for. Don't sacrafice your natural ability to please a transient fad.
    I believe its key to use a starter to establish prior knowledge and the direction of the lesson although the question of how long you make this is open to debate.
    For me I would not dwell on ticking boxes but actually teach kids and the lesson plan I handed to the interviewer would clearly state this was not an all encompassing lesson and would form x of y hours on this topic (as suggested by NC level whatever or SoW whatever)
    If you try and cram just to please you run the risk of not showing your true teaching ability.
    Anyone can go through a 3 part lesson, few can really move kids on in 20 minutes...thats your job and you have to be explicit in your actions to the interviewer.
    There is also no need to subscribe to cliche group work or silly methods of interaction/assessment. This is 20 minutes to show your ability.

3. They are looking for your capacity to plan and your rapport with the students

I would say "yes" to the basic 3 part ... we are going to blah ... let us just check if you know blergh, here is blah, do blah, check blah, adapt as needed

Make the topic a single learning objective