1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Gila, May 16, 2011.

1. After sooo many applications, finally I have an interview in a lovely small primary school. I think there may be an internal candidate, so I'm determined to do my best to impress. Will read all the advice on here, of course, and practise my answers to questions. I have to teach a year 3/4 class for 15 minutes, my choice what I do. I think I will go for an idea which got me my last two jobs, but vary it a bit. My questions are: 1. is it ok to have them on the carpet for that amount of time? Don't want to waste time getting them to their tables etc. 2. Given the short time is it wise to use mini whiteboards, or would that just mean a lot of time wasting/pens not working etc. Thanks for any advice.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

15 mins shouldn't be too long for year 3/4 so either carpet <u>or</u> tables would be my advice.
    Personally I like whiteboards as children are less worried about getting the wrong answer as they are easily rubbed off & not permanent & you can easily see all answers & spot any problems as well as giving your lesson pace.Perhaps you could ask for whiteboards to be given out prior to the lesson to avoud time-wasting giving out time.
    Definitely think it's a good idea to go with a tried-and-tested idea which you can tweak.
    Best of luck Gila!

3. thanks Lara, handing out whiteboards before/as they come in is a good idea. I'm suddenly worried about my lesson idea - it's a maths idea, but fun and has worked well for me in the past, but I'm now wondering if it would be considered boring and unadventurous, seeing that I can choose anything. What do you think?

4. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

You can have Reception children on the carpet for 15-20 minutes so for Year 3 that will be fine! I don't see why a maths idea is any more boring than anything else, and if it's something you're confident with then go for it. Good luck!

5. thanks, I think I will stick with my idea then. I was just wondering whether they'd be looking for a drama/music idea instead.Actually, I think the biggest obstacle will be the internal candidate.... but I'm just so glad I've got an interview and will look at it as a good chance to practise if I'm unsuccessful (but probably cry anyway :)

6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Gila
    remember the internal candidate doesn't always get it- I didn't last year. If they're bothering to interview you they ARE considering you - it would be cheaper & easier just to appoint an internal if they really wanted them so go & do your best.
    Looking forward to your I've got the job thread!

7. god I'd love to post that on here on Friday! thanks for the encouragement