1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview

Discussion in 'Primary' started by elishajeffries, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Hi All,
    I have just been invited to interview for the first time, I have to call the school to confirm.
    For my interview I will be teaching for 40 minutes and I am wondering what sort of information I am likley to get out of the school before hand - is it the done thing to ask for a class list so that you can label the children or abilities so that you can differentiate properly.
    I really love the look of the school and I want to make a great impression, so I don't want to ask questions which are... taboo for want of a better word!
    Can anyone help, please?

2. Hi All,
    I have just been invited to interview for the first time, I have to call the school to confirm.
    For my interview I will be teaching for 40 minutes and I am wondering what sort of information I am likley to get out of the school before hand - is it the done thing to ask for a class list so that you can label the children or abilities so that you can differentiate properly.
    I really love the look of the school and I want to make a great impression, so I don't want to ask questions which are... taboo for want of a better word!
    Can anyone help, please?

3. nomad

nomad Star commenter

The school should not let you have a class list since this will violate the data protection act.
    I would suggest that you are for the average ability level of the class and whether there are any pupils who are working far outside that average so that you can prepare differentiated material.
    Don't expect names.
    You could also ask whether there are any pupils in the class who are supported by TAs or who have mobility problems (if you are planning a lesson which involves physical activity).
    Keep requests short and simple.

4. Don't get too caught up on children's names. In my experience of interviews either the children are already named with labels or you can quickly learn one or two names at the start of the lesson and remember to use them. I always wear a name label myself in interview lessons or write my name on the board so the children can remember mine.

Ask if there are any special needs and if there will be a TA.

I would prepare for the higher level of the age group and then provide optional support - eg word bank, number line etc for the lower groups.

Be smart when choosing your learning objective - choose something that the children are unlikely to have covered and that they will make visible progress at during the lesson so that your observers can see the children making progress.

5. Don't get too caught up on children's names. In my experience of interviews either the children are already named with labels or you can quickly learn one or two names at the start of the lesson and remember to use them. I always wear a name label myself in interview lessons or write my name on the board so the children can remember mine.

Ask if there are any special needs and if there will be a TA.

I would prepare for the higher level of the age group and then provide optional support - eg word bank, number line etc for the lower groups.

Be smart when choosing your learning objective - choose something that the children are unlikely to have covered and that they will make visible progress at during the lesson so that your observers can see the children making progress.

6. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

We provide colour coded name labes for any children in an interview class, so those with say a name in blue would be HA, those in green MA and those in orange LA.

7. I really hope your children don't know that they have a certain colour sticker on them depending on how clever they are!

8. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

The brighter ones will work it out in no time at all!

9. I don't think this is a good idea at all. For a start suppose you forget what colour is what level, you'd look daft and it wouldn't be very useful as a class. Is the normal class teacher supposed to remember the level of every child 30 in a class? Well 24 say? And then if the children cotton on then the best ones will be boasting and even bullying the lower ones and then some children will be really upset anyway or even aggressive. Then waht about them going home to their parents, somebody is bound to go home and boast and that Mum will ask another Mum what colour her boy is and then it will get around and some Mums will be very upset and some will be mad and you might get Dads getting in on the act and turning up at school really mad and threatening teachers. A really bad idea I reckon.

10. Thanks everyone

11. How is it any different to the children working in ability groups? It doesn't take long for even year 1 children to work out which is the more able group and which is the less able.