1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview... Year 2... Maths... 30 mins!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by piggles, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Hi everyone,

I know lots of people ask for interview advice and I'm afraid I am about to do the same. I have been asked to teach a 30 minute lesson to 12 Year 2 children for 30 mins. I currently teach in Year 5 but would love to teach Year 2 but am feeling a tad out of my depth at the mo. I can teach any area of maths. I would like to do some problem solving linked to sorting shapes. Here is my idea.

The lesson is based on sorting 3D shapes in a practical problem solving way.

Starter - 5 mins: Carpet time: I show chn a teddy of Postman Pat - ask chn if they know who he is. Show chn clip of Postman Pat muddling up the mail. Now Pat doesn't know which parcel belongs to which person. I then get out my big postman's sack of parcels - show chn 3D shapes (parcels) - do quick recap of shape names/vocab.

Shared teaching - 10 mins: Present chn with the problem - can they match the parcel to the person? Ask chn to think how they could do this. Ask them what makes good sorting, generating success criteria in the process.

Activity - 10 mins: Send chn away to tables. Tables will have a speaker phone (if they push it, my lovely teacher voice will repeat instructions for them trying to get ICT in there!) Chn are in groups of 3 (4 groups) All have 4 parcels and 4 name tags and they need to match them up. Each name tag will have picture of the character (eg Ajay) with a speech bubble and a description of his parcel. (eg, My parcel has 8 corners. It has 12 edges. All its faces are square. For EAL, LA, a colour clue at the end - it has a blue square stamp on it.) EXT: Can chn add to the clues to make it easier for my imaginary friend Bob? Can they describe similarities and differences between the parcels/shapes. Chn must match all name tags to each parcel.

Plenary - 5 mins: Come back on carpet. Share answers. Revisit Success Criteria - touch noses if they meet it. Bring out mystery parcel. Can chn describe shape of parcel without saying the shape name? (it will be triangular prism) Talk partner and feedback best clue from each pair. Trying to encourage maths vocab. To finish - open up a special letter - it is from Postman Pat thanking them for all their hard work.

As I haven't taught in Year 2 I'm not sure if this is pitched too low/too high, etc. Not sure if they even like Postman Pat but I saw a funky new revamped Postman Pat cartoon on You Tube!

I really welcome your opinions, help, tweaks, criticism on this lesson. Half an hour is horrible. I feel like I'm not even really teaching much! I'd rather have 50 mins!

Thank you.

Piggles :eek:)

2. This has formatted horribly - sorry - it was written in lovely paragraphs.

3. Hi Piggles.
    I teach year 2. So I am picturing this lesson with my children. It all sounds very kinaesthetic and fun, so great! Mine are a bit old for Postman Pat, but would probably still enjoy this.
    If I gave them sound recorders with the instructions, I would have a good number that would just spend their time repeatedly pressing the button for the novelty value, and that would be disruptive. I would also have a lot who would just use the coloured stamps meant for EAL, and sort using those.
    I think it sounds a great lesson though, very imaginative, these are just the slight hiccups that I could foresee happening with mine. Also they would undo the parcels, so be really clear about that!
    Good luck[​IMG]

4. Thank you Chocolate.Eater

I really appreciate your advice. I think the thing I am most worried about is pitching my lesson to high - either in difficulty level or my inability to explain it! I'm so used to Year 5/6 I think I will need to focus on explaining stuff in a clear way. Think I'll stick to this lesson - maybe just tweak a little as you have suggested. Thank you.

5. Let us know how you got on![​IMG]

6. Will do - my interview is on Thursday! Fingers crossed!

7. 12 candidates were shortlisted. Eek! Anyhow, I did not get the position but they said I was a very strong candidate and my lesson was good with outstanding features. Oh well. I'm not actually that gutted. It was a positive experience in the end. :)

8. Your lesson idea sounded wonderful and they said you were a strong candidate so at least that is some comiseration.There will be other jobs and it just is the level of competition.
    How did the lesson go? Were the children able to do it? What about EAL children?[​IMG]

9. Lesson was good - adapted as I went along which they said was a real positive - EAL kids loved it (2 EAL kids). I'm actually staying put now because more promotion opportunities have come up but the experience was worth it.

Lesson was resource heavy but it was creative and there was no written work - it was all speaking and listening problem solving :)

10. Well done! Glad to hear it went well, but also that you have decided to stay put, so you won't have to go through all that again anytime soon!
    [​IMG]

11. Hi im a reception class teacher, i like the idea of postman pat and shape lesson, im teaching a lesson on 2d shapes, is there any way i could adapt this lesson to teach my pupils?

12. Piggles,

Love that lesson plan. Iv an interview on Monday and thinking of doing something along those lines (if you dont mind). How did the lesson go in the end ie pitch etc? Did you have enough time?