1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview! Y1 job - teaching task

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Kambjo, Jun 28, 2012.

1. Would really welcome some advice on my teaching task. I'll be doing a 30 minute lesson to Reception children and the theme is Inclusion. I've been told not to read a story but 'tell a story' - help!!
    It's a small primary school but with a very diverse intake, with a higher than average intake of EAL and Special Needs. It prides itself on its creativity.... any ideas please?!

2. Linda555

Linda555 New commenter

I would definitely do something with lots of props, especially things the children can touch / feel / describe. Can they sit in groups and act it out with toys / puppets etc. Stories like Handa's Surprise, Handa's Hen, Room on the broom, Gruffalo, fairy tales like 3 little pigs, the list is endless for ideas, but try to vary the story to bring in your own creative ideas. Can they make masks on pre-cut shapes? Build the houses? Just some quick ideas, but I would try to engage the children and introduce some of their creativity.
    Good luck.

3. comenius

comenius New commenter

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Something-Else-Picture-Puffin-Kathryn/dp/0140549072
    This is a lovely story. Maybe you could tell the children this story which is about a little creature that is 'something else' and doesn't fit in and ends with a little boy being 'something else'. You could talk about how they are all different but still belong. Give them mirrors to look at themselves and see how they are different/similar to each other. Make collage faces of themselves/paint portraits/make puppets of the characters in the story...
    You could bring props in to support the telling of the story.

4. Thank you! Love the idea of the masks and getting children actively involved...will use and feedback!

5. I think this hits the spot regarding inclusion at the school... very much about fitting in; the mirror idea would be a great follow up too. Thank you very much for the link!!

6. Well I bought the book, adapted the story, memorised it, made a junk model Something Else....gave the mirrors...and I got the job :)
    So thrilled. Thank you for passing on such a fab idea!

7. comenius

comenius New commenter

Well done you - congratulations!