1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

INTERVIEW WRITTEN TASK.....PLEASE HELP!

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by badlydrawnkel, May 12, 2011.

1. Got an interview next week and have been asked to teach and do a written task. Trouble is I have had several interviews with observations, but none with a written task. What can I expect from this written task?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

xx

2. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

I had to write about my first impressions of the school or something along those lines. I think they just want to check that your literacy is up to scratch! I don't think the written task would swing it unless they were really torn between applicants and one used bad grammar.

3. I had an interview on Wednesday and they gave me a spreadsheet with data from a yr9 French group (grades and predicted grades, effort grades, SEN and EALetc). 30 min and a piece of lined paper to write what strategies I would use to ensure the whole group would achieve at least a grace C in their GCSE French. Not even my Uni Tutor had ever heard of a test like that in an interview, especially for an NQT post! One of the other applicants said she was once tested in her subject (GCSE level subject knowledge test). Hope this helps and best of luck! :)

4. Agree with Middlemarch here. I had a written task at my last interview and it wasn't at all what I was expecting. I had to group children for literacy and numeracy and then explain my reasonsing and then answer 4 or 5 'what if' questions. In all fairness I went with how I have grouped children in my class - and explained that actually I keep my numeracy and literacy groups fluid because children may be brilliant on shape and space but dire at number and also it is the same with genres. I also explained that I would have different groups for guided reading to my literacy groups - this is the way I like to work as, in practice I have found it has worked best the children I teach, and the school doesn't like it or wants to impose a different way of working on me, then it isn;t the right school for me (and it wasn't because of a variety of other things I witnessed during the interview process).... but I digress.
    A written task will probably be based on something you are doing every day.
    My personal approach to interviews is that is it is meant to be I will get it, if not then I won't. Right I am off to prepare as I have an interview tomorrow. I know what I am going to teach but need to get everything together, write lesson plan and then prepare for questions etc...
    Also have another on Wednesday so going to prepare a lesson for that too :) Hopefully I won't need it but you never know :)

5. Thanks guys, just wanted to get an idea of what I may be faced with.

Good luck with your interviews![​IMG]

6. I had a written task today in my interview and I had 15 minutes to do a medium term plan for Reception based on Bob the Builder! Bit random and very pressed for time!!!

7. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I believe that more and more heads are using an unseen written planning task as part of the process - largely because they're now well aware that if they give the task in advance, a lot of candidates are using other people's plans and ideas (often from TES).
    Getting candidates to do it unseen shows who can plan properly and who cannot.

8. Middlemarch

Planning task, in other words.
    A good way of sorting out who can think for themselves and who can't.

9. Does that mean that teachers who use no other external stimulus (websites, books, past work) are the only ones who can plan properly? I have never understood how sitting a candidate in a room and expecting them to plan curriculum work on a specified topic, with no aids, is a fair judge of a teacher. Let's be honest, who plans like that? Personally, I enjoy browsing websites, looking at books and other people's ideas to help with my planning.

10. Middlemarch

I'm sure you do - but heads need to see what kinds of efforts teachers can make for themselves without nicking plans wholesale off TES.
    The exercise quoted is a test of creativity - that's what you need in a teacher, not who can post 'Help! I've got an interview...' quickest.

11. I'm not advocating "nicking plans" in their entirety. I just find it unreasonable to expect teachers to plan from nothing in what is usually a very short time frame.

12. Yes, but surely you have wealth of ideas to build on from past experience? Even as an NQT you would have experiences and ideas from teacher placement to use as a starting point.

13. Absolutely. I'm just saying that at some point, teachers will reach for something to help them and that the staged planning task at interview is an unrealistic representation as to how teachers go about this task.