1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview with the SCE.

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by mrswindows54, Nov 5, 2011.

1. I have an interview with the SCE and have read some of other the other threads on the site but was wondering if anyone else had any experience of such interviews. Any specific questions regarding the particular challenges of this type of primary position so I can focus my research?

2. I have an interview with the SCE and have read some of other the other threads on the site but was wondering if anyone else had any experience of such interviews. Any specific questions regarding the particular challenges of this type of primary position so I can focus my research?

3. englishtt06

englishtt06 Occasional commenter

Am secondary SCE but I can tell you that a big issue is pupil movement (very high numbers in SCE schools as families redeploy etc.) and continuity of their education. The primaries that I know of have two year groups per class (am sure there's a word for this in the primary world?). Am sure you are doing it already, but read some of the Ofsted reports for the primary schools to get an idea of where they're at and issues for improvement. Class sizes can be small but not always. I think the average here in KS2 is about 25 per class but I hear of smaller ratios in other places. Hope this is useful to you.

4. Thanks for this advice, I am sure it will come in handy later in the month!

5. What is your interview for? Primary pool or supply pool? Where are you going for your interview?

6. Syria1

Syria1 New commenter

A general point on the SCE: you are obviously aware of the Defence Review implications. The current thinking is that the following units will redeploy by 2013:
    43 Close Support Squadron RLC will move from Gütersloh, Germany, to
    Abingdon, Oxfordshire to collocate with its parent Regiment (12 Logistic
    Support Regiment) by the end of January 2012.
    7 Regiment Royal Logistic Corps (RLC) will move from Bielefeld in Germany to RAF Cottesmore by summer 2013.
    2nd Battalion The Royal Anglian Regiment (2 R ANGLIAN) to move from Cyprus to RAF Cottesmore in Rutland in July 2012.
    2nd Battalion The Yorkshire Regiment (2 YORKS) to move from Cyprus to Elizabeth Barracks, Pirbright in July 2013.
    So it seems that the provision for SCE will be gradually wound down in line with requirements.

7. It's to work on a primary supply basis, going where ever in the world, mostly Germany I guess, to fill temp gaps due to illness or maternity. I don't want to move permanently so this gives me a good chance to experience the SCE life. The interview is in London!

8. Syria1

Syria1 New commenter

In that case - good luck! SCE needs good teachers - the families have to put up with quite a lot in terms of disruption and deployment

9. Yes, I guess it must be hard to be on the move all the time at that age!

10. Are you going over to Germany for the interview? That should be an adventure in itself! Done much research?

11. Yes, interviewing at one of the schools over there - am very nervous. I have made a long list of things I think I need to read and started to look into it, but to be honest, most of the last week has been trying to arrange transport/accommodation etc..getting stuck in this week.
    What about yourself? Do you have to do a lesson?

12. Just an interview in London a week on Thursday. Over six hours on the train to look forward to. Let me have that list of things to read if you would be so kind, I have not idea really what to research, hence starting this thread!!! ha ha You never know after we both get a job I may be supplying at your school!

13. I have an interview in a couple of weeks too! What date is your interview?

I too am extremely nervous!

14. Mine is next week!!

15. Just had a polite refusal email from SCE.....it did make me laugh though!..(and I do mean chuckle!)
    reason for failure of application:....Insufficient experience.

I guess SCE are only interviewing people with over 12 years teaching experience, through all the year groups r-y8, previously AHOY, previously HOD, 2 stints working abroad, current job (for last 4 years) at (widely regarded as one of the top international schools in the world), Exp of bang up to date British practice (APP and suchlike), Exp of IPC, Exp of IB.

WOW the guys who have got SCE interviews, I take my hat off to you....he he

I'm not stupid....and I get it that you cant always be successful in getting interviews for a wide variety of reasons. However maybe using a random reason generator isn't the best idea when giving applicants feedback...he he

In all seriousness, good luck to everyone with interviews.

16. Sorry fink. I applied to a school in cyrpus in july and got the same email as you, then I got called in after applying to the pool? I also got asked to interview with a school last year but couldnt make it. I did then get a feedback email.

17. I also applied for the 2 term job in Cyprus at about the same time and heard nothing at all about it. Not even a made up excuse.

18. I also applied for the 2 term job in Cyprus at about the same time and heard nothing at all about it. Not even a made up excuse.

19. simarjitubhi a good place to start!

http://www.sceschools.com/vacancy.php?submit=Enter+Site

20. thankyou mrswindows54... is there anywhere i can view pay scales?