1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview with no lesson?

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by doneill55, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    I've been invited to interview for a permanent science position next week. I am an NQT and although I have been to a couple of interviews in the past, my knowledge is limited. I was always under the impression that I would be asked teach a lesson. I have been told by the Headteachers PA, that I would not be required to prepare for any tasks.This is a permanent post so I can't imagine a chat being sufficient. I now feel like I am going into the interview blind and am worried about other possible tasks that may be thrown at me on the day. Has anybody any suggestions of how best to prepare for such a situation or experience of something similar?

Thanks
    Worried NQT

2. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

I had an interview with no teaching task. Also, some places (lots of london boroughs) do pool systems where you have 1 central interview with a few heads, and from that they either reccommend you to the pool or not. Other heads can then access that list of people, and they don't always formally interview - you may just go for a visit to the school and get a job offer from that!
    Most places do like to see you teach but personally I don't think I teach v well in that situation compared to normally, and I'm not a particulary nervous person so I imagine others are far worse. If they've got good references for you perhaps that's enough for them.

Can't imagine they'll throw random other tasks at you that you don't know about on the day. Perhaps call the school and ask for clarification about what to expect, how long you'll be there etc?

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

In the good old days, when I started teaching, all you did on the day was have an interview. You might get a tour round the school if you wanted one, but that was all.

Teaching lessons at interview is pointless and so maybe this is an enlightened school that realises this and so isn't asking for lessons. Also it might be a nightmare for the poor technicians to suddenly have to find all the bits for half a dozen interview lessons with next to no notice.

Good Luck.

4. I had an interview where I was given a simple task on the day and it was just to see how we interacted with the students, not about our knowledge, quite unusual but nice!

5. Why? I have had several permanent posts and only in one case did I have to do a 20-min lesson. As someone has already said, interview lessons are pointless anyway, and besides the interview will be a little more than a "chat" in my experience.

6. Thanks for your replies.
    Just to let you all know, I actually got asked to plan and deliver a lesson on the day. I was given an hour to plan a lesson (with nothing only paper and pens as resources) from 5 different topics and then 25 mins to deliver it. When I heard the news that morn at the interview, I felt like walking out. Must have done something right though because I got the job and am absolutely elated :)

7. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I rather like that idea for an interview task. It demonstrates to the school what their chosen candidate can achieve, without assistance, in a resonable allocation of time and shows that they can teach when the computer system is not functioning.
    There was someone on here recently asking how on earth they could be expected to teach without access to a computer when all their lessons and resources were on a pen drive.
    Well done!

8. Well done for getting the job. I quite like the sound of doing that type of interview task. It shows initiative and good knowledge base.