1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview while off with stress

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by asher6249, Nov 22, 2019.

1. asher6249

asher6249 New commenter

Hi, i am currently on my second week off due to anxiety. This also happened last year, I have now come to the conclusion that i must leave the school that i am in. However, a school that i looked at a while ago have offered me an interview, i liked the school and the workload would be easier due to the class sizes etc. I really want to go to the interview but feel guilty. Should i feel guilty?

Thanks for reading.

2. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

It is up to you to decide whether to feel guilty. I don't think there is any reason to, as people are always changing jobs for all sorts of reasons.

There can be an issue about attending an interview if you are off sick. Although there is some disagreement on the subject, many of us think you should get permission to attend, as you would if you were at work. It is not clear what the situation is for you, but I either way, I think you need to have a word with your Head.

Good luck.

3. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Hi Asher. Absolutely no guilt attached to going for another job for whatever reasons. Go for it. However as Piranha says you need to talk to your Head or someone who is conversant with your situation as to how you handle the fact you are off sick. Your union might be someone to talk to.

Re-post your query in Personal or Workplace Dilemmas to get more answers.
    All the Best.

4. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

You would have to tell your school to expect a reference request, wouldn't you?

5. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

From what I know, you need to ask permission.

By being on sick leave, you've been given a document that says you're unfit to work. Going to an interview then having that HT ringing yours to request references could be awkward.

Ask your Union for advice.

phlogiston likes this.
  6. Bolter

Bolter New commenter

Good luck. Personally I wouldn’t have the cheek because it Sounds dodgy professionally and personally (unless this is a very different type off role or unless you have experienced a specific trauma particular to your previous school - no offence but we don’t know the context. Good luck with your recovery.

7. cornflake

cornflake Senior commenter

You can't attend an interview whilst signed off sick, without risking a disciplinary.

In many ways, this is mad.
    On the other, if you are currently struggling with anxiety (as am I) are you well enough to perform your best at interview?

phlogiston likes this.