1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview - what would you do?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by captain oats, Mar 30, 2012.

1. captain oats

captain oats New commenter

I am fortunate enough to have landed myself an interview after the holidays, hooray! I was after a bit of advice, part of the interview is to lead a PSHE discussion to a small group of year 3 and 4 children, they said this could be based on one of the SEAL themes of my choice. Having looked at their website it says that this half term year 3 and 4 have being doing 'Going for Goals' and next half term they are doing 'Relationships'. So my question is, shall I do a discussion based on what they were doing before the holidays or base it on what they're doing after the holidays, considering they probably won't have started that topic yet?

2. msmuse

msmuse New commenter

Well done on getting an interview! I have one then too so I feel your nerves!
    I really dislike teaching PSHE to a group of children I don't know, I just think it's much easier to teach that subject when you know the children's personalities and the dynamics of the group they are in.
    It doesn't sound like you are limited by topic, so I wouldn't worry about what they have done/are about to do. I'm not familiar with Yr3/4 SEAL topics, but if I were you I would choose one that you are comfortable with.
    And good luck! [​IMG]

3. Firstly well done on getting to interview! It is not easy in this climate! I recently got a job (start after the holidays woop) Before that I had a few interviews and although heart wrenching every time being told I hadn't got the job I got some fantastic feedback that might be of some use to you.

I was told they liked to see it when you challenged the children and yourself. Yes you need to be comfortable in what you are teaching but they want to see you trying to progress with the children. If you do something they already know you aren't showing you want them to look forward.

My interview lesson or the job I got went terribly, I taught phonics for 30 minutes and was told to aim it between phase 3 and 5. I aimed more at 5 and the children really weren't at that stage, they hadn't covered some of the sounds we were looking at or anything. I came out exhausted and planning on looking for more jobs, when I got the phone call I was shocked. I asked why and they said I had challenged the children. I had looked outside of the box and had not stayed safe. I made sure the ch were aware of what I wanted from them with clear learning objectives and got them to self assess themselves more than once during the lesson. Even though it didn't go to plan they saw I interacted with children well and tried to push them to achieve more.

PSHE is difficult, it isn't like phonics, you will still have success criteria, which you need to share with the children, but a lot of the time there can be no definite answers. Make sure you and the children know what it is you want to achieve from the lesson and give prompts through out to remind them. If you go off track ensure you bring it back by asking the children what it is we wanted form the lesson. If it is something they haven't looked at yet that might be nice because they can learn a lot more than they probably already know which you can take advantage of in your plenary part. If the children are engaged and you interact with them in the right manner I think you will be fine. Good luck

Hope this helps :) xxx

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I agree, sometimes PSHE can be difficult to teach to an unknown group., and that 'stick with someone you're confident with.'
    As to the SEAL theme, you could always do a one-off based on something you feel confident with.

5. captain oats

captain oats New commenter

Thanks for the replies, I have decided to do something on 'Going for Goals' linked to the Olympics :)