1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview- Uni of Cumbria

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by KylerS, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Hi everyone,

Has anyone had an interview at Cumbria this year for the Primary PGCE?

I've just been invited to interview, and having read through the information, I'm more nervous than ever before!

Having already been unsuccessful at two other interviews since Sept last year, I am really feeling the pressure!
    Not only do I get nervous in all interviews, but for some reason, the guidance they have provided, has made me doubt myself more!

I found other assessment days a mixture of emotions, and I think I let myself down on the english and maths tests etc, however these are not mentioned for this upcoming interview. There is a literacy task (which I'm not too worried about, because my degree was English and I enjoy writing, but there is a lot to read and prepare for this task).
    The group task at my last interview went fairly well I felt, but this one seems a bit more formal, talking about inclusion.

I'd love to hear from anyone who has had the interview this year. I know my nerves play a big part on the day and once prepared, I will feel better (I hope!) Best get cracking!

Thanks

2. Hi everyone,

Has anyone had an interview at Cumbria this year for the Primary PGCE?

I've just been invited to interview, and having read through the information, I'm more nervous than ever before!

Having already been unsuccessful at two other interviews since Sept last year, I am really feeling the pressure!
    Not only do I get nervous in all interviews, but for some reason, the guidance they have provided, has made me doubt myself more!

I found other assessment days a mixture of emotions, and I think I let myself down on the english and maths tests etc, however these are not mentioned for this upcoming interview. There is a literacy task (which I'm not too worried about, because my degree was English and I enjoy writing, but there is a lot to read and prepare for this task).
    The group task at my last interview went fairly well I felt, but this one seems a bit more formal, talking about inclusion.

I'd love to hear from anyone who has had the interview this year. I know my nerves play a big part on the day and once prepared, I will feel better (I hope!) Best get cracking!

Thanks

3. Hi I had my interview in December and have been offered a place on general primary!!!There is no maths test, although the literacy task is quite difficult as you have to write an essay in a short time!Group taks requires a discussion about elements of an effective classroom, its really relaxed although other applicants can be quite competative and try to over take the discussion!the individual presentation was the worst bit for me but again it is only to a group of 4 or5 applicants and a tutor so not too bad!Everyone did it on literacy so I would say do it on maths if only to stand out! The individual interview was just four questions and was more of a discussion and not too formal...I thought I had done rubbish but I got a place so I wouldnt worry too much...good luck!!!

4. Thanks so much for the reply!

I don't think there is a presentation, but I will double check! I think the tasks change with every interview, which makes sense!

5. Hi folks
    I too have an interview at Cumbria on the 25th and I'm currently reading the info supplied by them. I was just wondering what essay question they set? With the presentation I was also going to do literacy, however, I feel it may be wise to switch to Maths, as mentioned - even if it only to stand out!
    I'm looking forward to the interview/group sessions as I think it will be a worthwhile process even if I dont get a place. Out of interest, how long was it before you found out you had been allocated a place? I only ask as I fly out on holiday on the Saturday following the interview and will be 'off grid' so to speak!
    Cheers
    Mike

6. The essay question is about the article you should have been given by Jenny Moon, you have to write about reflection, even though I find essay writing easy I really struggled with this as you have no time to plan an answer you just have to write quickly and make sure you make no mistakes in spelling or grammer!! Group interview was easiest part as basically was a debate though I would watch out for people who try to take over, I interupted politely and made sure I spoke up. I think it is also important to know what you are talking about, my school experience really helped me in this bit as I could refer to it to back up my suggestions where as some people were simply just repeating a headline they had read in the paper the day before and offered no explanation as to why it would work etc. I got my offer 5 days later on gttr thankfully :) Good luck!!!

7. I had an interview at the beginning of this month for general primary and got offered a place 5 days later.
    Reading all the information they supplied beforehand definitely made me feel very, very nervous. Don't panic though! The day was really laid back, everybody was lovely (tutors and other candidates) and they all did their best to make you feel at ease.
    As some of the others have said, the literacy task is fairly difficult purely because you have so little time. This was the bit I felt most confident about beforehand but came away from the day convinced I'd screwed it up. Don't spend ages and ages going over the article though. Read it a couple of times, highlight some major points that stand out for you and then relax. As long as you write coherently, don't make too many spelling mistakes (they allow a few) and show REFLECTIVE skills then you'll be fine :)
    The group task was actually quite enjoyable. There were only three of us, including me, and maybe I was lucky but the other two were lovely people. Nobody tried to speak over each other, we all gave each other a chance to have our say and we bounced off ideas, etc. Use experience to back up your opinions. Agree with the others but don't be afraid to disagree either in a constructive manner. The fact that we also got given a sheet with some ideas on that we had to rate in order of importance was extremely helpful too, we weren't just pulling ideas out of thin air.
    The presentation was the part I was most dreading. In reality it was absolutely fine. Again, it was only infront of the two people I had the group discussion with (and a lecturer). Someone else mentioned that you should maybe talk about maths instead of literacy. I'd agree. We all did literacy and our lecturer said hardly anyone did maths.
    The individual interview was a bit scary but it went ok. The lady was very nice and positive and they only ask four questions.

Good luck! It's not nearly as intimidating as the pre-interview email makes out. Try and relax, smile and you'll be fine!

8. Hi there,

Thanks so much for the reply! :)

My interview is for the distributed learning course, so the tasks on the day are slightly different. Luckily I don't have to give a presentation, but I have done this at a previous interview, so I feel your pain!
    I get really nervous for the personal interview, which is a shame really because that's a good chance to show my personality!

However, I still really appreciate your reply and help. One of the biggest problems I have with this process is the REFLECTIVE skills!! (I know how crucial these skills are for the course too)
    Please can you explain or give me an example? This will also help me for the tasks,

Thanks again everyone

9. I think basically they just want you to draw on your past experience lots and to show that you can recognise where things went wrong and how you might have done things differently. They told us on the day that they want teachers who recognise how hard the job can be and that it's not all lovely and perfect, it can be tough.
    Sorry, I can't particularly remember any specific examples I used though :/

10. No worries about the examples, you've been a great help :)

Thanks

11. Hi there,
    I have an interview at cumbria coming up very soon. Can u please tell me what kind of questions they asked in the individual presentations?

Also, any ideas of what I can talk about in the presentation on early reading.

Thanks

12. I had an interview in January for General Primary at Carlisle and got accepted, and I too was most concerend about the literacy task. The most important thing is to be reflective, give a structured, balanced argument and to make as few spelling and grammatical mistakes as possible (they allow a few!). With the paper you've been given to read I'd just highlight some points and make small annotations as you can take the document in with you. I found the test quite hard, but this was only because what I'd highlighted/annotated wasn't directly relevant to the question, but having read the paper several times, I had a vague idea where to find the info to structure and balance an argument.
    With the presentation make sure you cover all the points that they are looking for (listed on the information sheet) and try and keep to the five minutes. I had 7 powerpoint slides, although it is not essential to use, although one was an introduction slide.
    The day it's self is really quite enjoyable, the tutors will put you at ease and are really nice! My interview was more of a general chat with a couple of questions thrown in and went well over the alloted 10 minutes and was really relaxed. It was the nicest interview I've ever had to be honest!
    Above all, relax! There's nothing you can do until you see the question for the literacy paper, so just keep reading the Jenny Moon paper and be reflective in your answers.
    Hope this helps!
    Mike