1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview tomorrow

Discussion in 'Primary' started by BLONDE0796, Nov 29, 2015.

1. BLONDE0796

BLONDE0796 New commenter

Hello everyone,

I have an interview for a TA position tomorrow. The interview lasts an hour and I really would like to get the position.
    My interview will consist of a Maths and English test, interview and also reading to a group of children. I have been researching interview questions, Maths and English tests and how to read to children. My problem is I am no longer a confident person due to the recruitment process. Since July 14 I have applied to more than 30 schools for a TA position and because I don't hold a Level 2/3 teaching assistant qualification I have not been noticed. This rejection has made me feel I am not good enough for the role and it has also took my spark away.
    The interview tomorrow is for a graduate teaching assistant and they are asking for a 2.1 degree. I have the 2.1 degree, however I feel I am going to mess it up because of my nerves. I don't know the age group of the children who I am reading to and I am not sure what kind of questions they will ask in the English and Maths tests. As a trainee I want to prepare the best that I can. Can anyone offer any advise or support in what happens and what I should expect?

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Wow you do need a 'confidence boost'!
    OK as to the English and Maths tests they're likely just to test your basic knowledge to ensure you would be able to access the necessary information to be able to do you job as a TA in the classroom.Most important for those applying for whom English is not their native language.
    As to the reading it will just be to engage the children. Can you read clearly? Can you ask questions to draw out information from the children.
    They consider you good enough a possibility to invite you for interview, so go ahead and show them just why they can't miss the opportunity of employing you!
    Best of luck!

3. BLONDE0796

BLONDE0796 New commenter

Thank you Laramfl05,

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
  4. BLONDE0796

BLONDE0796 New commenter

Thank you Laramfl05, I have some knowledge of Early Years reading for example: getting the children to identify the title, author and asks them what they think the book is about based on what they see in the picture on the front cover. I would also look out for sounds, rhyming words, wow words as well as relating parts of the story to their own experiences. I would ask them what they think is going to happen next and give them time to answer. At the end of the story I would ask them questions about what they remember about the story and if it has a moral explain it. I am not to sure if I have covered everything :/ I was thinking maybe older children I could point out things like metaphors, personification, alliteration etc still not sure how to read with older children :/

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Pretty much the same with older children- just perhaps in more detail.
    Other things depend on the particular book chosen.