1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

INTERVIEW TOMORROW - should I tell them about holiday???

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Lilybett, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Hello,
    If you are reading this, please reply because I am panicked!
    I've got an interview tomorrow for an LSA post (I'm a fully-qualified teacher but there are no jobs...!!) - and yesterday I found out that my name had been picked from the ballot for Centre Court tickets for Wimbledon!!! [​IMG]
    Because I live at the opposite end of the country, I will need to stay over in London and take two days off - a Thursday and a Friday in June.
    I want to be honest and tell them about it tomorrow, but is this wise? I was thinking it might be better to say that before I heard I had an interview, I booked a weekend break and I'm really sorry but I will need these two days off. Think that might sound better than admitting I need 2 days off to go to London to watch the tennis?!
    I really don't want to lie - of course, because it's just not nice. And it's so impractical! What if I get the job and make friends with colleagues who want to add me on Facebook - where I have been burbling on about how excited I am to get these tickets? And I really, really don't want to have to ring in sick and spend all day hiding from the TV cameras. But I was SOOOO lucky to have got Centre Court seats and can't give them up!
    What would you do???
    Thanks so much in advance xxx

2. Hello,
    If you are reading this, please reply because I am panicked!
    I've got an interview tomorrow for an LSA post (I'm a fully-qualified teacher but there are no jobs...!!) - and yesterday I found out that my name had been picked from the ballot for Centre Court tickets for Wimbledon!!! [​IMG]
    Because I live at the opposite end of the country, I will need to stay over in London and take two days off - a Thursday and a Friday in June.
    I want to be honest and tell them about it tomorrow, but is this wise? I was thinking it might be better to say that before I heard I had an interview, I booked a weekend break and I'm really sorry but I will need these two days off. Think that might sound better than admitting I need 2 days off to go to London to watch the tennis?!
    I really don't want to lie - of course, because it's just not nice. And it's so impractical! What if I get the job and make friends with colleagues who want to add me on Facebook - where I have been burbling on about how excited I am to get these tickets? And I really, really don't want to have to ring in sick and spend all day hiding from the TV cameras. But I was SOOOO lucky to have got Centre Court seats and can't give them up!
    What would you do???
    Thanks so much in advance xxx

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

OK, choice time.
    In my left hand I have your Wimbledon tickets. In my right hand I have your contract for your job. The job that will enable you,eventually, to get a teaching job because it is keeping you in touch with schools, with children, with learning. The one that will give you the edge over other candidates for the teaching job who are unemployed and have been out of contact with schools.
    Which hand are you going to choose? Left or right?
    If you choose left, you tell them about it tomorrow, and risk them deciding not to appoint you because of the faff of replacing you on those days.
    If you choose right, then you say nowt, if you get the job then 2 or 3 weeks before the day you ask for unpaid leave for those days, and risk having to give them to a friend.
    But you'll have the job.
    Left or right?
    Best wishes
    There is now another seminar on Applying for Senior Leadership on 13th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop17.eventbrite.com
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Theo's said it all. It really might come down to having a job, work & money or a one-day experience, which you might or might not enjoy- because of the cost of travel, worry about no job prospects & potential rain!
    But in the end it's your choice & you'll be the one having to live with that decision.