1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview tomorrow - I know I can do the job but I'm terrible at interviews!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Fiona L, May 7, 2012.

1. I'm getting really worried about my interview tomorrow. It's for a TLR role and I meet all the criteria on the job and person spec, I've got loads of experience to bring but it's just the interview that always lets me down. I've been for an informal visit, spent time with the children and current postholder and they've all been very positive. I'm just so nervous about the interview and there isn't a lesson involved so it's all on that.

I find that although lots of the things I'm asking about I know I can do, I just freeze when asked about them. For example, if I'm asked about how I would deal with a challenging colleague or a colleague who needed support, I do this all the time but I can't say HOW I do it! It's the same with questions about raising achievement or how I monitor and track progress. I do this all the time but I can't think up good answers on the spot as to how I do it. I just read Theo's thread about safeguarding questions and got all nervous again as I know I could answer them all with enough time to think it through but I'm so awful at thinking on the spot. In a non interview situation I could think of loads of examples to demonstrate the skills they need but on the spot I end up waffling and embarrassing myself!

You'll all probably say that if I can't answer them I shouldn't be going for the job but I know I can do the job and do it well. Arghhh!

2. I'm getting really worried about my interview tomorrow. It's for a TLR role and I meet all the criteria on the job and person spec, I've got loads of experience to bring but it's just the interview that always lets me down. I've been for an informal visit, spent time with the children and current postholder and they've all been very positive. I'm just so nervous about the interview and there isn't a lesson involved so it's all on that.

I find that although lots of the things I'm asking about I know I can do, I just freeze when asked about them. For example, if I'm asked about how I would deal with a challenging colleague or a colleague who needed support, I do this all the time but I can't say HOW I do it! It's the same with questions about raising achievement or how I monitor and track progress. I do this all the time but I can't think up good answers on the spot as to how I do it. I just read Theo's thread about safeguarding questions and got all nervous again as I know I could answer them all with enough time to think it through but I'm so awful at thinking on the spot. In a non interview situation I could think of loads of examples to demonstrate the skills they need but on the spot I end up waffling and embarrassing myself!

You'll all probably say that if I can't answer them I shouldn't be going for the job but I know I can do the job and do it well. Arghhh!

3. clawthorpegirl

clawthorpegirl New commenter

Sorry not advice as much as another arghhh as I've got my first interview in 10 years tomorrow for an AHT job and feeling much the same as you!
    I don't know if it will help or not but for each question I think will come up I've listed key things to say, examples and what happened as a result of. So if they ask me about a time I saw an outstanding lesson I've got an example in mind and if (as is likely) safeguarding, behvaiour, inclusion, parental involvement come up again I've listed key points to include in my answer.
    However right now I'm painting my nails red to match the top I'm planning to wear!
    Good Luck!

4. Thanks for that, will do the same. I think if I can't be general about something (i.e dealing with a difficult colleague or a safeguarding issue) I will think of examples and say what I did and how it was resolved. Good luck tomorrow!

5. A colleague of mine swears by rescue remedy. She claims it is the only way she gets through interviews and observations. We're convinced that it is all psychological but it does the trick for her.

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Middlemarsh has some really good advice on preparing for interviews; there is also advice in the Interview clickables inside the Welcome thread.
    But here is the thread which has MM's mind-mapping advice in it - it's after a few other posts. Great advice!
    Dear Theo and all- Get to the interview, but nerves always get the better of me. What to do?
    Do read this thread too :
    Safeguarding and Child Protection - the questions, NOT the answers. (Bump it when you've finished reading it)
    Well done to every single one of you on getting your interviews - we look forward to you starting a whole series of new threads called Dear Theo - I got that job!
    Best wishes.

7. Thank you for that Theo!

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

[​IMG]
    Best wishes for that interview!

9. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Oi, you - butterfingers Griff!
    It's Middlemarch - you know, like the book written by that 'bloke' George Elliot.

10. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Oi, you - butterfingers Griff!
    It's Middlemarch - you know, like the book written by that 'bloke' George Eliot.

11. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I know, I know - and I often mis-type it! [​IMG]
    I've even heard of the book. And seen it on the telly.
    [​IMG]
    I promise that if I write marsh, it's not because I think you're wet and sloppy - Heaven forbid - it's just that I cannot get it into my stupid old head.
    *walks away in shame *
    Best wishes.

12. Thanks for all the words of wisdom - I got the job!!

13. clawthorpegirl

clawthorpegirl New commenter

Congratulations!
    Me too!

14. Well done - fantastic!!