1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview tips

Discussion in 'Primary' started by missaks, Sep 25, 2019.

1. missaks

missaks New commenter

Hello, I'm a secondary Mfl teacher trying to get into primary teaching. Can anyone tell me what typical primary interview questions are like as I am only used to secondary style questions! Thanks

2. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Basic nature of the questions are the same - show is how you have brought about good progress, what do you know about safeguarding, what will you bring to the school...

In your situation, expect additional questions about subject knowledge. Primary maths and English curriculum has A LOT of content...

Stiltskin likes this.
  3. missaks

missaks New commenter

Thanks it is primary MFL so not too different!

4. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Should be straight forward enough then. Good luck!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Occasional commenter

You say that you’re an MFL teacher- do you know how to teach other subjects as you will be required to teach these- unless of course, you are interviewing for a MFL teaching post in a primary school where you will be teaching a variety of year groups, as opposed to just the one.

6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I would say, assuming it's for an MFL in Primary post, it will be pretty much your standard interview as suggested above, but unlike a Sec post you almost certainly won't have part of your interview in your foreign language. Or else they wouldn't be advertising!

7. missaks

missaks New commenter

Ah ok. Would be specifically Mfl but what about teaching a lesson? What are key elements of a primary lesson? I’d assume much the same as secondary....progress...afl..differentiation?

8. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Therein lies the rub. Most Prim teachers don't have a clue about mfl pedagogy and what constitutes a 'good lesson'. I've even heard criticism for 'too much repetition'! :rolleyes: o_O

Lots of games / reinforcement activities, preferably hands-on obviously and one 'handy tip' I was given is that the 'concentration level of a child is their chron. age + 2. Thus an average 7 year old child would have roughly a 9 min concentration span. So in an hours lesson you'd need roughly 5 activities.