1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

* * * * Interview Tips * * * * *

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by TheoGriff, May 17, 2009.

1. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Thought it might be useful to gather these together for you . . . some of the threads that I give below have more information than may at first be apparent from the thread title.

Get your Key Points clear in your mind! I always think that it's good to prepare for interview by identifying 3 or 4 key points about yourself that you want to get over to the panel. They have to be about YOU, not key points that someone else has suggested, because they have to want YOU, because it's YOU that's going to have to do the job, fit in with the rest of the school, etc., so givng them answers that don't show YOU but someone else is plain daft.

So think of your key points. I have good communication skills with parents. I am very committed to the pastoral side of teaching. I am prepared to work my socks off for the children. I am very analytical and clear-headed. I am very caring about the whole child. I think academic success is the main thing. (This is too many . . .)

Whatever they are - and it's unlikely anyone would have the variety I have given as examples! - when you get a question, ask yourself Is there one of my key points that I can illustrate here?
    This should allow you to give a picture of who you are and your strengths.

For general interview preparation, here are some websites.

http://www.le.ac.uk/ssds/careers/appsinterviews.html

http://www.le.ac.uk/ssds/careers/pdf/interview_skills.pdf

http://www.prospects.ac.uk/cms/ShowPage/Home_page/Applications__CVs_and_interviews/p!eefmd

Scroll to the bottom of:

http://www.thetutorsassociation.co.uk/studies2.html

Here are some TES threads that may interest you . .

Normal

false
    false
    false

EN-GB
    X-NONE
    X-NONE

MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

/* Style Definitions */
    table.MsoNormalTable
    {mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
    mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
    mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
    mso-style-noshow:yes;
    mso-style-priority:99;
    mso-style-qformat:yes;
    mso-style-parent:"";
    mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
    mso-para-margin-top:0cm;
    mso-para-margin-right:-1.15pt;
    mso-para-margin-bottom:0cm;
    mso-para-margin-left:4.8pt;
    mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
    text-indent:2.25pt;
    mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
    font-size:11.0pt;
    font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
    mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri;
    mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;
    mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;
    mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;
    mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}

Normal

false
    false
    false

EN-GB
    X-NONE
    X-NONE

MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

/* Style Definitions */
    table.MsoNormalTable
    {mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
    mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
    mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
    mso-style-noshow:yes;
    mso-style-priority:99;
    mso-style-qformat:yes;
    mso-style-parent:"";
    mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
    mso-para-margin-top:0cm;
    mso-para-margin-right:-1.15pt;
    mso-para-margin-bottom:0cm;
    mso-para-margin-left:4.8pt;
    mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
    text-indent:2.25pt;
    mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
    font-size:11.0pt;
    font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
    mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri;
    mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;
    mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;
    mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;
    mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}

Going
    to the interview - the Susan Boyle Youtube approach . . .

<h3>Dear
    Theo- What are they looking for during an interview lesson?
    </h3>

<h3>* *
    * Possible interview questions * * *
    </h3>

<h3>Deputy
    Headteacher interview questions
    </h3>

Dear
    Theo - interview technique (DHT)
    </h2>

Dear
    Theo invited for interview again at same school
    </h2>

<h3>Dear
    Theogriff-interview and portfolio advice?
    </h3>

<h3>Ready for interview</h3>

<h3>Good
    questions to ask in your interview
    </h3>

<h3>Headship
    presentations- help needed!
    </h3>

<h3>If
    offered a job, must I decide instantly?
    </h3>

<h3>Is
    there any point going to interview if there is an internal candidate?
    </h3>

<h3>I
    have my first ever interview at a private school
    </h3>

<h3>FAO
    Theogriff and other Private School Heads
    </h3>

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

4. tangerinecat

tangerinecat New commenter

TheoGriff, would it be inappropriate to say how very much I love you? [​IMG]

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Depends how desperate/keen you are for the job . . .
    Your decision, I'm afraid, not mine.

6. You're right of course! :) Thanks. Have decided to wait......

7. Thought I'd add my interview experience. I wasn't sure if to start a new thread but this way Theo's good advice gets a bump, too.
    I didn't get the job but I did learn a few things. I got the usual interview questions - behaviour, parents, ICT, your achievements in teaching, etc. Nothing on afl, meeting all pupils needs or good lesson but I did have a lesson observation so I guess thats how they got information on those aspects. Feedback on my lesson was good. Some comments - pupils were engaged by task and active in learning, TA was used well, higher ability were stretched.
    Feedback on the interview was that my answers were mostly good but in general I hadn't 'sold myself'. One example they gave was when I was asked to talk about an experience I'd had with challenging behaviour. I didn't describe in detail what I'd actually done and also talked about what a TA did at the time too, so interviewers didn't really get a feel of how I would deal with challenging behaviour and I was advised to choose a clearer example. I can't remember their wording but the gist was that I hadn't put across my enthusiasm in the 'panel' part of the interview. Looking back I can see that I could have been more 'gushy' and animated. I think was trying so hard to relax because I so nervous that I probably came over as a bit laid back. I'm not a natural show off but I'll try harder next time. I know the things I do really well but unfortunately didn't share many of them with the panel.
    Next time I'll aim to get my key points in early on. The first question was about how I got into teaching. I answered it very factually and briefly, thinking there would be plenty of other questions where I could talk about my successes as a teacher but there wasn't. In fact lots of my 'expected' questions didn't come up. I think I'd over planned and missed other opportunities to talk about things I've done because I was waiting for particular questions to come up. I was surprised at how few questions I was asked and wish now I'd made more of the ones I was asked. Going over and over what I thought I might be asked and searching tes forums for tips has kept me up very late for 2 nights and I was feeling pretty tired today. Next time it will be early nights and less trying to find the perfect answers. Ironically some of my better answers were ones I came up with on the day.
    Good luck to all you jobseekers.

8. Thanks for taking the time to write that post. Some really useful tips *throws out list of 100+ potential questions*
    I think I'm really going to struggle with the 'selling myself part', plus I'm not naturally a gushy person.
    How many people were at your interview, Katie?

9. I've been re-living my interview all night so another broken sleep! Thinking back I didn't use the 'what would you bring to the school?' to show myself off. It was worded something like 'what extra or different can you bring to the school?', which threw me because I don't see myself as being extra or different to other great teachers. I wish I'd said something like 'I don't know if what I can bring is different to what the staff here already offer but what I can bring is ........' then rattled off a few strengths.
    I've also looked back at the person spec and one was 'innovation and creativity' which I didn't really get in anywhere. I could have got that into the what can you bring question.
    Redsummer, I'm a fairly reserved sort of person, especially with adults I've only just met but I am lively and enthusiastic in the classroom. The feedback on my lesson ob was very positive and I know my references were very good (the people who wrote them have got to know me and know I offer a lot). We know we can do the job and so I think its a case of putting on a performance. The advice to be yourself is fine but by being myself (reserved in an interview situation and worrying I'll talk for too long) I think I came across as OK but nothing special. The interview is a chance for us to convince the school we are something special so next time I'll be making a big effort to show the enthusiastic, confident person that I am inside.
    I've gone on again! The answer to your question is 4 people interviewed me and 1 observed my lesson. Is that what you wanted to know? Or were you wondering how many others were interviewed? I spent time pointlessly trying to work that out before I went. Then when I got there I saw when some people had arrived and left in the visitors book and started thinking about how long they would have been in their interview for and what activity they would do for there lesson. Its all irrelevant because its about what you do - its the only thing you have any control over. Also a friend of mine went for an interview where only 2 people were interviewed and didn't get the job. Two days later was one of 8 being interviewed and got the job. Don't know if this is what your question meant but its how my mind works.
    Do you have any interviews coming up? If you do best of luck and I hope you get the job you want (or an oscar for your performance ; ).

10. Bump with thanks for useful tips

11. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

12. bump - just in case there's a jobseeker out there who hasn't seen these yet or hasn't got them in their hotlist!

13. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

14. Thank you all for this.

15. Excellent advice thank you for this, made me feel much more prepared for my interview tomorrow.

16. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Up again for the last interviews of the year

17. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Some posters are talking about job interviews alraedy, so here are the preparation tips.
    Best wishes to all Job Seekers!

18. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

19. Just looked at these, looks invaluable! So here is a bump.