1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview this week!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by equifox1, May 15, 2016.

1. equifox1

equifox1 New commenter

Hello,

I have an interview this week and I have to teach a literacy lesson to reception children. I have my plan sorted I'm just toying with the idea of how to deploy the teaching assistant who will be there to support.
    Should I teach the whole class and only utilise her when the children go to the adult led activities or is it best practice to split the class and both deliver the same lesson to our own key groups?
    When I have taught in reception before I would use both methods dependant on the main input.

Any advice gratefully received.

equifox

2. May2

May2 Established commenter

Just one opinion but I would deliver it to the whole class. You don't know the teaching assistant and how good they are or how they usually work. I wouldn't think in an interview situation that the TA would expect to be suddenly given a plan and have to get on with it. You probably won't have much time to explain it all to her and what you expect and you don't want her group distracting your group when you are teaching.
    It is a whole different ball game when you know the children and the TA.
    I would think they would want to see how you manage the whole class so I would have the TA on the carpet with you, supporting children as necessary. As the TA knows the class she can be invaluable at keeping those 'special' ones focussed. She can then work with a group activity afterwards or be supporting continuous provision.

Good Luck

equifox1 likes this.
  3. equifox1

equifox1 New commenter

Thank you for your speedy response. I do feel that whole class input is the best way.