1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview techniques

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by lemon_meringue_pie, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Did you have an interview as well or was it just a lesson?
    If you had an interview as well I think that your lesson was probably fine and your enthusiasm failed to show during your interview. Maybe you didn't refer to why you wanted to work in that school//area?

LMP :)

2. LMP, the OP says that the apparent lack of enthusiasm showed through in both the lesson and the interview.
    I understand your problem here. I am very shy and I worry that I'm not portraying myself well in interviews. However, during my successful interview, I got on really well with the interviewers. That put me at ease and my enthusiasm showed.
    I think it's just a matter of finding the right school for you. If it's not right, you're bound to feel nervous and your nerves might get in the way of showing your enthusiasm. When you find that perfect fit, it should be clear that you are really keen and the interviewers will like you for who you are.

3. I had similar feedback after an interview last week which I thought went very well. Not so much the lesson - although the children enjoyed it - because I suddenly became very nervous halfway through which I'm very cross about! The head told me that he was 'waiting for me to do something' and nothing happened. He said that perhaps this was because I was nervous. Duh. (Yes, he is right, and yes, I have taken it on board!) He also said that I didn't 'sell myself' well enough in the interview.

However, I got the very strong feeling that the other member of the interview panel really liked me. Personally I thought the interview went brilliantly, and afterwards she told me that I had done very well. I can certainly take on board what the head said, but I think that maybe I just wasn't right for him. Not everyone wants teachers to 'perform' in an interview lesson, and very few of my colleagues have had this sort of feedback.

You may have been turned down for four jobs, but this isn't any worse than being turned down for one. It was the same interview panel each time - you weren't right for them. I agree with the comment above about finding the right school for you. I have had three interviews so far and still not found that school - I know that when I do, being myself and enjoying the interview lesson will come much more easily.