1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview + teaching session 30 mins Yr6

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Northstar68, Oct 13, 2008.

1. Hi Everyone,

I'm new here, just signed up last week. I have been out of teaching for 4 years (staying home with children and doing other things), I thought I was going to do a return to teaching course which is due to start in Feb 2009 but then this part time job came up and it sounds perfect for me.

I just heard today (Mon 13th) that I have an interview on Thursday 16th, first I need to teach a Year 6 class for 30 minutes, (a literacy session of my choice), then the interview is after that.

It's been 4 years and now I'm panicking!! Please, does anyone have any ideas for me for a 30 minute literacy activity I can do with them? A lot of the children are EAL. It is a whole class session.

Huge thanks. I really need a bit of a confidence boost I think! I know I can do it, I have just gone completely blank!

2. Hi Everyone,

I'm new here, just signed up last week. I have been out of teaching for 4 years (staying home with children and doing other things), I thought I was going to do a return to teaching course which is due to start in Feb 2009 but then this part time job came up and it sounds perfect for me.

I just heard today (Mon 13th) that I have an interview on Thursday 16th, first I need to teach a Year 6 class for 30 minutes, (a literacy session of my choice), then the interview is after that.

It's been 4 years and now I'm panicking!! Please, does anyone have any ideas for me for a 30 minute literacy activity I can do with them? A lot of the children are EAL. It is a whole class session.

Huge thanks. I really need a bit of a confidence boost I think! I know I can do it, I have just gone completely blank!

3. I can see why they leave the options open but I know I would rather have something definite

<address>to do. Following the new framework this term I've done auto/biography, narrative and just started poetry. I'd therefore be reluctant to do any of those as they've just done them (probably)</address>
    <address>Also I'd avoid grammar points as they may be really good at it already. So, perhaps, go with something else and something you know you'd feel confident with - perhaps a letter, character description of you! instructions etc Once you've decided on thre genre you can start to build up your ideas.No idea why I went into italics and cannot get out!</address>
    <address> </address>

4. E-mail me and I well send you an idea that usually works well.

emadam@hotmail.co.uk

5. Thank you so much for writing. I have spent the last 5 hours panicking and then the last 30 minutes planning a speaking and listening (paired talking) activity. I figured that with only 30 minutes I can't do anything too much. Sooooo, now I need to find a picture with some people in it which they can discuss.A few minutes talking about the setting with their partner, then a few minutes talking about the personality of the people in the picture, each time we discuss the descriptive words used. Then the main activity would be for them to write what happens next maybe? How does that sound? Any ideas of a pic I can use? Something I would need to copy for the paired work?

Many thanks again! Emadam, email is on its way, I am open to suggestions in case I can't find a picture on time! ;)

6. Morning, I forgot to say that I have checked the resources section here for some speaking and listening things I could use as a visual cue. UNfortunately, my computer has a problem with anything in Word, when I open it up it freezes and doesnt let me print it or expand it (if the writing is too small).....so I'm stuck there now too :((((((

Any ideas. I have my plan, I just need a suitable picture/other visual cue for a Year 6 class.

It's for Thursday morning, thanks so much again. Trying not to hyperventilate here! :)

7. Northstar, Have you looked at the Microsoft clipart website? You can get to it via MS Office applications such as word or publisher via the clipart menu and choosing 'clipart online' or at http://office.microsoft.com/clipart . There is a whole 'people' category - some are rather American, but there are loads of useable ones. They are free to use if you have an MS Office licence. You can copy individual pics into your document, or download files once you register so you can use them again. (This assumes you can get your Word working OK!)

8. I had a very similar thing for an interview - very open ended and used a text to stimilate discussion.

Why don't you use a victorian picture or a picture of a completely unidentifiable object (even to you) or you could of course use an old jewellery box with some random pieces of your old jewellery and they have to piece together a character profile or something, or use how, what, when , where etc...

In my year 6 class we use random pictures of everything from ferrets to fair ground rides and we call the game 'Blaggers'. Its kind of a card game and each child gets a card that they have to talk about for a minute. They could have to try and sell the thing, or speak about it as if it is the picture in a newspaper article and they have to tell us what the news story is. They have to speak for a minute on the subject to their group. They love it.

Don't loose confidence because when it is so open ended they are looking to see your teaching style and a nice creative idea and you can do that with your questioning. Don't worry..pick something and run with it.

Good Luck

9. Ahhh thanks so much for your help guys, I have taken it all on board and will look at the things you suggested. I dont know why I panicked so much about this session. I taught for years before I had to stop for a break. It's all to do with confidence eh!

Oh noooo, never mind about the teaching, that should be a doddle, now I can start worrying about the interview questions!! 1 day to go!

Thanks again.

10. Hi, I am not ignoring you but my laptop is at school so will reply first thing in the morning!

11. :))) that's ok Emadam, I understand, look forward to hearing from you. Many thanks for your help.

12. I have a 30 minute lesson interview observation of a speaking and listening exercise for a year 6 class and this idea of blaggers looks really interesting! Can you tell me a bit more about it i.e how you organised it ? Did they have to persuade you to buy it or just to convince you on what they said could be true. Also, how did u differentiate it?
    Intro-show chn a picture and try and blag selling it. Discuss persuasive language, biased and for arguments etc
    Main activity- I was thinking in splitting the class in 5 groups of 6 children, each group has their own picture and each child takes in turns to try and blag to the rest of the group what the picture is of using persuasive languge or even makes it a news story article. Children have a minute to present to their group. then children choose the best blagger to share with the rest of the class.Vote for the best blagger.
    Plenary-Peer-assess the main speakers against success criteria.
    By the way did you get that job?