1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview teaching observation

Discussion in 'Primary' started by sophiejayne23, May 2, 2012.

1. I have been asked to prepare a 20 minute numeracy activity using the following Year 2 objective: Visualise common 3-D solids; identify shapes from pictures of them in different positions and orientations; sort, make and describe shapes, referring to their properties. I don't think it is possible to devise one activity that encompasses all of the above or to deliver a number activities that would cover most of it in only 20 minutes. I would just like reassuring that it would be best to choose one aspect of the objective to focus on. Also, do you think I would be expected to do a 'mental oral starter' or would it be acceptable to go straight into introducing the activity? Thank you in advance

2. I have been asked to prepare a 20 minute numeracy activity using the following Year 2 objective: Visualise common 3-D solids; identify shapes from pictures of them in different positions and orientations; sort, make and describe shapes, referring to their properties. I don't think it is possible to devise one activity that encompasses all of the above or to deliver a number activities that would cover most of it in only 20 minutes. I would just like reassuring that it would be best to choose one aspect of the objective to focus on. Also, do you think I would be expected to do a 'mental oral starter' or would it be acceptable to go straight into introducing the activity? Thank you in advance

3. I would do a quick starter just to wake up the children. Shape work could start with you you describing 3d shapes while pupils visualise them , point to which one it is. Pupils could sit back to back with whiteboards. One draws 3 or 4 shapes and explains to their partner their position, properties etc (2d shapes)partner then draws what has been drawn. Could build 3d shapes in polydron etc. it does seem a bit over ambitious for 20 min. Hope it goes well.

4. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

That is the objective outlined in the strategies, you would not be expected to deliver a lesson which encompasses all of that, it would be delivered in a series of lessons. Pick one part of it and deliver a session around that. Visualising is good but there is no point in doing a visualising activity if they are not familiar with the properties so if you go with that make sure you check they understand edges, faces & vertices. I have just done this unit and we did a day recapping on the properties & finding 3d shapes in a real life setting (shape walk), then a lesson on visualising & now we have moved on to nets (easy to differentiate - LA give different possible cube nets & allow them to predict then test using polydron, MA investigate and record own 6 faces combinations to see if they form a cube - do they notice a pattern? Can they use this to find other combinations? HA nets of a range of 3d shapes).