1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview - Teaching a Starter (division Yr2)

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by vickmai, Feb 10, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    I have been offered an interview and am really hoping to get the job, so am looking for help and some 'whizzy' ideas!
    I will be teaching a group of 10 mixed ability year 2 pupils, delivering a 15 minute mental oral starter to a lesson covering elements of the following objectives:
    I can use halves and quarters
    I can use multiplication facts to find associated division facts
    I can select the mathematics I use in classroom activities

There is a wide range of abilities in the class, ranging from P8 to level 3c, so there will need to be differentiation within the lesson. There are also several children in the class who have been living in the UK for only a few months and have limited English - they will need to be catered for.
    I know there will be access to a smartboard so ideally would like to use this to support the learning/teaching.

Any help would be great
    Thank you xx

2. I don't think point three really lends itself to a starter vickmai.
    However it should be possible to nicely link points one and two in a starter, by linking multiplication by two and four to halving and quartering.
    What resources do you like using with this age group?

3. Andrew Jeffrey

Andrew Jeffrey New commenter

HI Vickmai, I note that you have some level 3 children in the class, so do ensure that you include some divisions that have remainders, as this is a level 3 concept. And I passionately believe that they should use the grouping model before they learn the sharing model, yet it is often taught the other way round, and we then wonder why they get confused later on.
    That said, you might come badly unstuck in an interview if you introduce grouping when they have only been doing sharing, so I would definitely find out about prior knowledge. In fact, I don't think it is at all invalid to ask the school what the children's experience of division has been thus far.
    If I was an interviewing head, and only one candidate had bothered to ring up and find out this information...

4. Ooooh yeah good thinking Andrews.
    I'm not so sold on it always being grouping but I do agree absolutely you need understand whether the students are used to halving by splitting or by grouping in twos and likewise for dividing by fours and that your teaching needs to be sensitive to this.

5. Andrew[​IMG] unless you've been splitting and then grouping!

6. Shall we switch this over a bit.
    As you will teach about 15-20 hours a week for nearly 40 weeks a year, which lesson you have up your sleeve from the ~ 700-800 lessons you plan to deliver would you like us to help you develop and make suitable for an interview?
    What ideas (as someone who wants to teach day in day out) do you have to teach this topic based on the kids youhave in front of you?

7. we had 2 interview candidates today (not you - not y2) and there was much grumbling that neither had checked prior knowledge/ability

8. Well they have been using the sharing method and have only covered the basics of division so far. As i will not know which children are of what ability until i get there i thought of doing a quick 5 minute missing sign game e.g. 1 ? 1 = 2 (therefore they are selecting mathematics) so they children independently write what sign they think it is missing.
    Then i will pair them according to ability, with a pot of pasta. My question being, can they share the pasta so that each of them have the same? Then we can create a division sentence. Then after doing one together, i can then differentiate, giving the lower ability another go will a small amount of pasta and support to write a number sentence on a whiteboard and the higher ability an uneven amount so they are able to use remainders (showing the level 3).
    What do you guys think?
    I have done something similiar to this with my previous year 2 class (i am year r now) and it worked well, but then i knew them inside out and they were well trained!!
    x

9. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

This is what I find so ridiculous about interview lessons. You get a call saying do something on division with a class that you know nothing about, you don't know their names, ability, prior knowledge - nothing.
    Fine - ring the school and find out - the teacher might actually be able to help if you can get hold of them.
    Half an hour - that's it. Yes - I know you are being observed to see how you interact with the children etc but it's a farce - just like an OFSTED observed lesson. You don't get to see the true teacher because of the interview stress.

10. Sounds like the typical staged lesson oftsed would lap up. so yes it should go down well. Would you do the same if you were not being observed? (I appreciate you say you have tried it before) as it doesnt seem a day in day out lesson you would do 20+ a week of
    If so, roll with it. If not then simply make an engaging lesson thats shows progress. I believe the only thing that should change for a lesson obs/interview and day in day out teaching is the paper work (ie formal lesson plan/pupils data/seating plan) and potentially being more explicit in what you are doing to assist the observer.
    If the pupils are not used to you and the situation they may or may not be ok with the whole scenario.
    If you do decide on taking food to the interview (which I personally wouldnt...you may look to get some generic counters or blocks for future use), maybe take a visual alternative (such as a whiteboard activity with coloured blocks on)
    If you can teach you will get favourable feedback,no gimmicks are required from experience.

11. aside (I'm guessing the lesson is prepared/delivered now?)
    That comment concerns me Andrew because although I have met some children who have learned grouping before splitting, splitting seems to arise naturally (I have a paper here by Davis and Hunting on dealing as being one way it arises) so a teachers who is teaching grouping should not assume that children aren't confusing issues. They may already be aware of splitting and need to have it explicitly discussed that there are different routes to getting the right answer.
    When you are halving and quartering is it really natural to make them group?