1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

interview task

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by diana71, Nov 4, 2015.

1. diana71

diana71 New commenter

Please Help! I have an interview task to do for 15 minutes with 4 year 7 pupils, I have absolutely no idea what task to do.

2. OBakaSama

OBakaSama Occasional commenter

I believe the general board policy for such things is you have to come up with them yourself, and we ought not to give out specifics. With that in mind...

If you're taking Y7 children, that indicates KS3. Which in turn indicates it is beyond primary age range where, for the most part, all subjects are taught by one teacher. If correct, and the school is a normal one, so to speak; then it would depend on the specific role you are applying for and what the school has specified. Some secondaries deploy their TAs by department from what I've seen; some move around with specific children.

If it is department based, then the answer is clear: the activity should something associated with that subject.

If it is a general role in school with no specific attachment, that's trickier. In that case, I suggest you go with your own strengths and plan an activity for a subject you are comfortable with. Cross reference with the National Curriculum. The interview panel will grill you about your choices, why you chose the activity, why you thought it was suitable, etc.

3. diana71

diana71 New commenter

Thank you I panicked and my mind went blank I had 2 options in my mind but then was told the pupils were not what I had prepared for.