1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview task

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by Astar2C, Nov 24, 2014.

1. I have been invited to attend a task in a primary school for the post of Teaching Assistant. The school want me to undertake a reading task with six year 4 children then get them to perform a written task. I am to supply the text. It is quite daunting! Any tips on how I can approach this?

2. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

That's quite a lot to ask at an interview - a reading AND writing task! There are lots of brilliant Pie Corbett short stories on-line; have a look at 'The Canal'. You could read this with them and discuss what makes it so good - lead them towards the use of great adverbs. Children can work in pairs to underline or highlight the adverbs, then create a list together (make sure they understand word meanings). You could then ask them to choose one of the adverbs and put it in a sentence of their own - model one first, e.g. 'Desperately, Josh tried to turn the rusty key in the lock, but it was no use.'

That's just a possible idea - whatever you decide, you will only have time to focus on a short written task - I'm sure other posters will have lots of great ideas! Good luck and let us know how you get on.

3. Belle60_3

Belle60_3 New commenter

Here's an idea I have for what it's worth. Split into groups of 3, then give each group a box (could be an old shoe box) that you have wrapped and decorated like a Christmas present. Ask them to open the box. Inside will be a small selection of items that all relate to Christmas - might be a bit of tinsel, a bauble, a mini cracker - whatever you have. Ask them what they think all of these items relate to. Once they have told you, go around the group and ask them to give you one word each that might describe Christmas for them. Put them up on the board, ask for more and add your own too, then briefly discuss the words and their meanings. Now give each child a Christmas card to open. Inside will be a message from you and their task which they should read. The task could be to write a short Christmas poem, song or short story, using some of the words on the board. Once finished, ask those who wish to share to read their work out and award stickers/rewards to the best.

4. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

Belle - that's a great idea and one I would love to do with a group - but wouldn't be able to at our school as probably more than a third don't celebrate Christmas at all, and quite a lot (especially the older kids) would be VERY uneasy about being asked to do any activities to do with it. I guess the message is - be aware of the school cohort and different religions and cultures you may be asked to work with.

5. Belle60_3

Belle60_3 New commenter

Thanks. It would be OK in the school I worked because it's a christian school and so when parents send their kids to us, it's expected that they learn about christianity (along with other religions) regardless of what religion they follow. The thing with this task is that it can be adapted to any theme you want and the clues be made as obscure as you want too. I have seen this done with a suitcase which contained holiday items when the kids were being introduced to the topic of tourism in geography. They really do get excited about opening things and it makes for an enthusiastic response to the task. :)

6. 1FineDay

1FineDay New commenter

State schools should involve all students in activities which promote understanding and respect for other religions, particularly at times such as Christmas and Eid..

7. Hi, Thanks all for your brilliant suggestions! I will remember them for future reference. I had the task this morning at 9am so I had to think of something quickly last night. In the end I printed off a short piece of text from the BFG and asked them some questions about it then read another short extract and got them to write a short piece of creative writing of their own. I had six year 4 children and only twenty minutes so it had to be something quite quick! Not sure that it was good enough to be invited back for interview but at least my application form passed!

8. Belle60_3

Belle60_3 New commenter

Good luck Astar!

Absolutely, 1fineday!