1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview task help!

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by violetfaith, Nov 7, 2015.

1. violetfaith

violetfaith New commenter

Hi everyone :)

I have an interview on Tuesday for a Teaching Assistant role specifically Behaviour Support and have been asked to do the following with a group of 8 Year 7s (all boys):

Lesson topic: Plan an activity in which the students practise the key skills of reading, speaking and listening and writing. For example, you may wish to ask students to read a short text of your choice, discuss it as a group and produce a short written response.

Could anyone advise me on an appropriate piece of text for Y7s please? I've been working as a mentor so don't really have any experience of the above.

Many thanks in advance :)

2. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

May be worth asking for the reading ages of the group with whom you will be working ? Assume nothing ! If you currently work in a school as a mentor then have a look at the curriculum / texts on offer on Y7 ? As a complete aside I always felt that mentors ( often called learning mentors ) were too isolated from classroom practice and in providing support outside of the classroom were not familar with the demands of it - make sense ? ( I used to provide piles of glossy car magazines in our KS3 Base which more often than not helped engage the students who were mostly boys with very challenging behaviours - as an exercise it was useful re motivation ( they wanted to read ) and social skills so encouraging speaking and listening of a different type. Not useful in the context of your interview but worth considering what kind of outcomes this task really demands)

3. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

Hi violetfaith. I agree with minnieme, it would definitely be useful to know that reading ages of the group you will be working with. Then you could go for a discussion on 'Are footballers paid too much?' If you google this, there is lots of info out there - articles, discussion threads, etc. If they are a low reading age group, there is a text about this in the old Year 5 'Further Literacy Support' materials, which is still available on line. Best of luck with the interview.

4. violetfaith

violetfaith New commenter

Thank you guys :)

I've decided to read the parable of the 'Two Wolves' with them and do some basic comprehension with them and get them to write their own responses. I have their C.A.T. scores which are all below average so I'm hoping the lesson I've planned is accessible for them.

The role is a TA specifically for behaviour support so even though I know I shouldn't assume (!) I'm guessing it's a group of naughties so it's a mix of reflecting on their own behaviour whilst reading, speaking, listening and writing.

Again, thank you so much